Human Rights Programming Grants
Call for Proposals
The mission of the Weissberg Program in Human Rights is to prepare students to “engage critically with human rights and to develop effective and responsible strategies that promote human dignity.” The program supports the Weissberg Chair in International Studies, a fall Human Rights Forum, opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience with human rights, and faculty development opportunities around human rights teaching and scholarship.
The Weissberg Program invites proposals from faculty, staff, and/or students for programming activities that promote awareness of and engagement with human rights and social justice.
Permissible activities are those that
- Enable students to engage critically with issues of human rights and social justice in their coursework and community citizenship;
- Help students connect and apply coursework and theory to real life issues and experience;
- Infuse Beloit College’s curriculum and co-curriculum with rights-based lenses
Programming funded by the Weissberg Program has included film series, lectures, panel discussions (all held on the Beloit College campus) as well as participation off-campus in actions supporting human rights.
Priority is given to activities that tie into one or more courses and/or promise to reach multiple audiences.
Proposals should include:
- Names of individual(s) who will coordinate the activity, their role(s), and brief description of qualifications
- Description of the activity
- Rationale for the activity
- The intended audience or participants in the activity.
- Itemized budget and budget narrative
A report on funded activities is due within one month of the activity’s completion.
Note: Proposals from faculty involving travel with students will only be accepted if the students will actively contribute to the design and implementation of the activity, as opposed to being the targets of the activity. That is, they must be active partners, for example, serving in the role of teaching or research assistant.
To submit a proposal: send a message with the proposal as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please put “Weissberg Programming Proposal” in the subject line.
Application deadlines: Rolling, with decisions generally made within two weeks of receipt.