Now Accepting Applications for the following positions:
Summer Mentor Position
June 15, 2015 – July 31, 2015
Beloit College Upward Bound is a pre-collegiate program working to generate the skills and motivation necessary for low income, first generation high school students to complete a college degree. Upward Bound consists of an academic year component and a six-week summer session of academic and cultural enrichment for 80 sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
Mentors are the primary caregivers for each camper for the duration of the 6 week summer component. This position is a classroom tutor for the duration of the 6 weeks and a live-in position for the last two weeks all while providing supervision, activities, mentoring and guidance to Upward Bound students (NOTE: In some cases, the 6th week is spent on a trip with the students and senior staff.) The Mentor is responsible for providing learning opportunities to support students’ academic and personal needs, supervision for the health and safety of participants, and assistance with disciplinary issues.
- 2 years of college experience preferred
- Leadership experience in high school and/or college
- Experience working with youth
- Working in a residential setting or similar program as Upward Bound preferred
- Must have strong communication skills, self – initiative, and professional boundaries
- Previous tutoring experience and similar background as participants preferred
- 3.0 GPA minimum is required
- Applicants should be responsible and mature
- Have enthusiasm, patience, and self-control
- Have a friendly demeanor
- Must have excellent character, integrity, and adaptability.
- Have the desire and ability to work in a cooperative, team-oriented atmosphere
Please complete the application provided by Friday March 6, 2015 and email, fax, or mail completed application to:
Beloit College Upward Bound
700 College St
Beloit, WI 53511
Office: (608) 346-5797
Fax: (609) 363-2139