The Center for Language Studies has been offering Chinese for more than twenty-five years. Our program strikes the perfect balance between fostering oral immersion and building a strong foundation in reading and writing. During seven weeks students live in Chinese, speaking to their teachers and peers in class, at meal times, during cultural excursions and activities. A significant amount of time is also devoted to learning to read and write Chinese characters, as they can open up doors to broad areas of Chinese culture. For over three thousand years, Chinese characters have played and continue to play a significant role in Chinese culture through art, history, and philosophy.
Thanks to our proximity to Chicago’s vibrant Chinatown, our Chinese program can participate in cultural events like the Chicago Dragonboat Festival, attend Chinese variety performances, and eat at authentic restaurants. Past cultural events have included a calligraphy workshop hosted by Andy Chan, the President of the Chinese Artists Association of North America, and demonstrations by the Qi Shu Fang Peking Opera Company.
FIRST-YEAR CHINESE, SESSIONS I & II
- No textbooks required.
SECOND-YEAR CHINESE, SESSION I
- Integrated Chinese 3 Textbook [978-1-6229115-6-1]
- Integrated Chinese 3 Workbook [978-1-6229115-7-8]
- Integrated Chinese 3 Character Workbook [978-1-6229115-8-5]
SECOND-YEAR CHINESE, SESSION II
- Integrated Chinese 4 Textbook [978-1-6229115-1-6]
- Integrated Chinese 4 Workbook [978-1-6229115-2-3]
Integrated Chinese 4 Character Workbook [978-1-6229115-3-0]
THIRD-YEAR CHINESE, SESSIONS I & II
- Beyond the Basics: Communicative Chinese for Intermediate and Advanced Learners [978-0-8872762-3-1]
Fourth-Year Chinese, Sessions I & II
- Session I: Discussing Everything Chinese Vol. 2 (2008 Edition) [ISBN-10: 1438285272; ISBN-13: 978-1438285276]
- Session II: The Routledge Advanced Chinese Multimedia Course: Crossing Cultural Boundaries (Second Edition) [ISBN-10: 041584133X; ISBN-13: 978-0415841337]
Senior Instructor Third-year Chinese, since Summer 2013
“I have been teaching Chinese at Beloit for five summers now. I keep coming back to CLS and would like to recommend it to everyone I know for its strong learning atmosphere and the feeling of being a harmonious cultural community.
This intensive program provides teachers chances to not only teach students language but share their experience and cultural knowledge in and out of class. The language classes with abundant practice and all the cultural activities together like the Chinese dinner night, the trip to Chinatown, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese chess and so on involve the whole Chinese language team and enhance the teaching effectiveness.
The experience, knowledge and friendships gained at CLS last me well beyond the summer and will continue to enrich me for life.”