Beloit is located on the traditional territory of Indigenous peoples, and we respectfully acknowledge the Ho-Chunk, Potawatomi, and Sac and Fox people who have stewarded this land. We recognize the legacies of violence, displacement, and settlement that they have faced. We are always on Indigenous land, and on-campus we have a constant reminder in the form of the mounds.
The Beloit College campus features 20 conical, linear, and animal effigy mounds built between about AD 400 and 1200. Once, in the form of a turtle, has inspired the symbol (and unofficial mascot) of the College. Similar mounds are found throughout southern Wisconsin and adjacent portions of surrounding states. They were built by Native Americans identified by archaeologists as Late Woodland people. These people may include ancestors of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) people and other tribes.
The Beloit College group once totaled 25 mounds; five were leveled unfortunately by building and groups projects many decades ago. See the 2003 Beloit College Magazine article by retired Logan Museum of Anthropology director Bill Green for details on the history, study, and preservation of the College mounds.
Many of the Beloit College mounds have been partly excavated and restored. The material found in them and other Late Woodland sites in the region, such as fragments of pottery and stone tools, are in the collection of the Logan Museum of Anthropology. Students and faculty concerned about mound preservation established the Campus Mounds and Sustainability and Advocacy Initiative in 2018.
For more information and a map of the mounds, please see Mounds and the Museum.