Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can work?

To work on campus, a student must first have campus employment allocated as part of his/her financial aid package.  Once students who have been awarded work have secured campus employment, non-aided students may apply for remaining available positions after the third week of classes has concluded.

Where do I find a job?

A variety of jobs are available throughout campus.  Many jobs require basic skills and little, if any, previous experience or specific knowledge.  Other jobs may require skills or knowledge acquired through course work, training or faculty recommendation. Information about finding employment on and off-campus may be found here.

How much will I get paid?

Hourly wages are determined by the level of skill, ability, and responsibility required by the position.  The wage scale for student positions is located here.

When and how do I get paid?

Students are paid twice a month. The academic year student payroll schedule is linked here

Students must complete an electronic timecard for each job worked. 

Students are paid through direct deposit into a bank account of their choice or payment may be applied directly to a student account.  More information about getting paid can be found here.

What kind of paperwork do I have to complete to be able to work on campus?

Prior to starting work, students are required to complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (basically identification), some tax withholding forms provided to you, and a direct deposit authorization.  More information about student employment forms can be found here.

Students who are not yet 18 years of age must also obtain a work permit from the State of Wisconsin.  Work permit applications and requirements are available from Payroll/Human Resources.

What are my responsibilities as a student employee?

All students are responsible for finding jobs or confirming their return to an existing job.  It is also the responsibility of the student to:

•      complete and turn in all employment and financial aid paperwork prior to starting work

•      report to work on time

•      personally call supervisor if unable to work a scheduled shift

•      accurately record and total all times worked on timecards

•      submit electronic timecards for each job and each pay period

•      advise supervisor, financial aid, or human resources staff of any concerns regarding ability to perform work, schedule conflicts, workplace safety, or potential harassment

Information about student employment policies and procedures can be found here.

Who do I contact if I have questions about student employment?

Students who have questions about work as a portion of their financial aid package, adjusting their work award or finding work should contact the Financial Aid Office.  Financial Aid staff are located on the 2nd floor of Pearsons Hall and available by phone at 608-363-2663.

Students who have questions about payroll forms, timecards, paychecks, or W-2 earnings statements should contact the Payroll Office.  Payroll staff are located in the Human Resources Office at 726 Church Street, behind the Morse Library, or by phone at 608-363-2298.