Skip Navigation

Special Student Information

Giving Day:  Today is Giving Day! Make a gift, spread the word, and show you're Proud to be Beloit!

Registering as a Special Student at Beloit College

Special students register for classes on a space-available basis after degree-seeking students select their courses. Beloit College cannot guarantee that you will be able to enroll in a course, but we hope that it works out for you and present these suggestions to help facilitate the process.

  • To search for classes, go to You can view courses by department, time, course number, and other criteria.
  • You must complete a Special Student Application for each semester you plan to take a course at Beloit College.
  • Contact the professor in advance of the course you’d like to sign up for. You’ll need to pick up a drop/add card at the Registrar’s, fill it out, and have it signed by the instructor. You will then need to sign your card and return it to the Registrar’s Office. 
  • After successfully registering for a class, you should go to the library to have your picture taken for a Beloit College ID.
  • Beloit’s bookstore ( recommends attending the first day of classes to obtain your syllabus before purchasing books, as some materials may be optional.  Check the website for hours, policies, and information for purchasing books online.
  • If you have any special needs, please contact the Learning Enrichment & Disability Services Office at (608) 363-2572 in advance of signing up for a course.
  • After successfully registering for a class (by turning in your drop/add card and your Special Student Application), a Beloit College email address will be emailed to you. If you do not receive it, please contact Tim Tyler at You will need a Beloit College email address to access Moodle (a course management system that professors often use to post assignments, syllabi, and discussions).
  • Pay attention to add/drop dates, grading, and attendance policies. These are real classes, and if you stop attending without formally dropping the course, you will have a failing grade on your permanent record. Special students (including Early College Credit students) are subject to the same cancellation policies and fees as outlined in the course catalog. 

Notes for Specific Programs

Employees and Employee Dependents:

You will need to fill out the Educational Assistance Program Request (tax returns are required to demonstrate proof of dependency) and return it to the Registrar's Office; otherwise you will receive a bill for the course.

Community Members and Continuing Education Program Students:

Arrangements for payment must be made in the Accounting Office as soon as you register for the course. Remember that Financial Aid is not available for part-time students.

Early College Credit Students:

Please submit a copy of your high school transcript with your Special Student Application.

Kate Virgo ( in the Admissions Office and Olga Ogurtsova ( in the Modern Languages Department are your program advisors. Please contact them with questions.