Registration Guidelines for Returning Students
FALL 2017 REGISTRATION
- All continuing, off-campus study, and current vacation term students intending to return for the Fall 2017 term must register in April.
PROCEDURE FOR FALL 2017 REGISTRATION:
o You must get approval from your major advisor (or if you are undeclared, from an FYI or Transfer or Exchange advisor) in order to enroll in classes during online registration in April. First-years and sophomores who have declared a major may be cleared for registration by either their FYI or major advisor. So, schedule a meeting with an advisor no later than March 31!
o Your advisor will clear you for registration after your advising meeting.
Check the Courses/Registration window in the Portal before online registration begins to make sure your advisor has cleared you to register; there will be a message in the middle of the window telling you if you’ve not been cleared.
o If you are currently on an off-campus program or a vacation term, you should correspond with your advisor via email. Also watch for an email in the third week of March from the Registrar with additional details about registration.
- May I enroll in more than 4.75 units? No, not prior to the first day of classes in the Fall. On or after the first day of classes (August 28, 2017), students wishing to elect units in excess of 4.75 may do so with the written authorization of both the major advisor and the Registrar. Such approval requires that the student have a minimum grade point average of 3.200 and no incompletes, and shall be made only after evaluating the student's academic progress and the reasonableness of his or her program. No student may register for more than 5.5 units in either the fall or the spring term. Students seeking an exception to this policy may petition the Academic Performance Committee. For information, deadlines, and the procedure to request an exception, go to course overload policy
- Attend activities during Advising Practicum, Friday, March 24.
- Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor between Wednesday, March 22 and Friday, March 31.
- Go to the Portal to peruse the course offerings for the upcoming term, before your advising appointment.
- Meet with your advisor and prioritize your course selections.
- Course authorization and waitlist information for registration week.
- Register yourself online via the Portal:
o April 4, Day 1, beginning at 7:30 am: up to 1.00 unit of credit.
o April 5, Day 2, beginning at 7:30 am: up to a total of 2.00 units.
o April 6, Day 3, beginning at 7:30 am: up to a total of 3.00 units.
o April 7, Day 4, beginning at 7:30 am: up to a total of 4.75 units.
NOTE: Online registration closes at 5:00 pm on Friday, April 7.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION RE-OPENS on Monday, April 10, at 8 a.m. and continues until 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 3.
You may add/drop during this timeframe, if you need to change your course selections or were unable to register during the April 4-7 week of online registration.
If you are intending to be full-time for the Fall term, make sure you are registered for at least 3 units before you leave for summer break. No student may register for more than 4.75 units until August.
NOTE ABOUT CROSSLISTED COURSES: Some courses are listed in more than one way (from 2-4 different ways), e.g. Intro to Literary Study is listed both as ENGL 190 02 and CPLT 190 02. You can sign up for the course either way, but to see the combined total enrollment in the course, click on the course code link for course details; right below the description is information about the enrollment, including waitlist count.
- WAITLIST UPDATE
So long as any student is waitlisted for a course, no student may enroll in that course without instructor authorization, even if the enrollment has dropped below the cap. Instructors may authorize both waitlisted and non-waitlisted students to enroll above the enrollment cap or by waiving the prerequisite. These are separate authorizations; either one or both may be added by the instructor for a student.
IMPORTANT: If you are on a waitlist and the instructor authorizes you to enroll, you still need to go to the drop/add window in the Portal to actually enroll in the course. Click on the “move to current” button next to the course. Then you will be prompted to “change waitlisted to current”. Click on that to enroll.
IMPORTANT: If you are not on a waitlist and the instructor authorizes you to enroll, you still need to go to the drop/add window in the Portal to actually enroll in the course. You will see a “move to current” button next to the course. Click on that, and you’ll be enrolled.
IMPORTANT: If you no longer want to be on a waitlist, then please drop yourself.
Should you need to make a change in your schedule after classes start in August, see Drop-Add Procedures.
“WHAT IF….? TIPS to help you successfully register”
1) I cannot sign up for a course because it says I’ve not fulfilled the prerequisite, but I have transfer credit that qualifies or I have instructor permission to enroll.
Ask the professor to “authorize” your enrollment in the Portal, which will then enable you to register yourself.
2) What do I do if I failed a course and am planning to repeat it this Fall?
You cannot register for the course online. Contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.
3) How do I sign up for a special project, an internship, or TA credit?
You cannot do that online. You must complete a Special Project Contract form for a special project, an Internship Registration form for an internship, and an add/drop card to register for TA credit.
4) I want to take a vacation term next term:
Contact the Dean of Students Office to schedule an Exit Interview.
5) I am currently studying off campus. How do I register?
Follow the same procedure as on-campus students. Contact your advisor via email. If you think you may have a problem connecting to the Portal from your remote location, then email a prioritized list of your course selections to email@example.com no later than Sunday, April 2, and the Registrar's Office staff will take care of registering you for courses.
If you need to make changes in your schedule during the online add/drop period following the initial online registration week, you can do that yourself, or you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
6) I am currently on a vacation term. How do I register?
Follow the same procedure as on-campus students. Contact your advisor via email, unless you are in the Beloit area and can set up a personal appointment.
7) I have approval to study off campus next term. Do I need to register?
You should register for the appropriate “SAB” (study abroad) or “OFFC” (domestic) program. Some “SAB” programs require enrollment in the corresponding IDST 288 (Cities in Transition) course as well. If your plans change, promptly notify OIE and also email email@example.com.
8) I see that some courses are listed in different ways in the Portal. What does that mean? How do I know if the course is full?
Some courses are listed in more than one way (from 2-4 different ways), e.g. Intro to Literary Study may be listed both as ENGL 190 02 and CPLT 190 02. You can sign up for the course either way, but to see the combined total enrollment in the course, click on the course code link for course details; right below the description is information about the enrollment, including waitlist count. The "parent" course controls the combined total enrollment. Both the "parent" and "child" courses will show as "full" in the course list once the parent cap has been reached.
*******************see Useful Resources below****************