Skip Navigation

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Beloit College Administrative Policy Manual states: Permanent records are confidential between the student and the College. A student may request transcripts of his/her permanent academic records at any time; however, transcripts will not be released without the student's authorizing signature. Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, and by appointment with the Registrar, students are entitled to review those records, files, documents, and other materials which contain information directly related to the student and maintained by the College. Students may challenge information considered inaccurate or misleading, and if the custodian of the record refuses a request for modification or removal of information, the student may file an appeal, or place a written explanation of the challenge in the file.

Parents often have financial and personal investment in their son/daughter's academic progress. Beloit College encourages students to inform parents about their academic progress. The College will not release academic information to parents without student consent, except when a student is in a medical emergency.

College “directory information” may be made available to the public unless a student acts to restrict such a release by written notice to the Registrar by the end of the first week of classes during any given semester. “Directory information” includes the student's name, address, telephone listing, date of birth, academic major, participation in officially recognized sports and other activities, weight and height of members of the athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended, and enrollment status (part time/full time).

Students or parents who have concerns about academic success may contact the Dean of Students, Associate Dean of Students, Faculty Director of Advising or their faculty advisor. Those with questions about FERPA should contact the Registrar.