Appeal of Suspension or Dismissal
Timeline for Spring 2017 Academic Actions & Appeals
Thursday, May 18, by noon CDT: Academic Performance Committee notifies students who are suspended or dismissed.
Thursday, May 25, 9:00 a.m. CDT: Suspension or dismissal appeals are due to Dean of Students.
Tuesday, May 30, by 4:00 p.m.: Academic Performance Committee notifies students of appeal results.
Tuesday, June 6, 9:00 a.m. CDT: Final appeals due to Provost.
Appealing Academic Suspension and Dismissal from Beloit College
If you have been suspended or dismissed from Beloit College as a result of your academic performance, you are allowed to petition the Academic Performance Committee if you wish to continue on with your Beloit College education immediately. (The Academic Performance Committee, a committee of faculty and staff chaired by the Dean of Students, is charged with hearing appeals from students who are seeking an exception to college policy.) Before deciding whether to appeal your suspension or dismissal, you should consider the following:
- Why might it be in your best interest to take a semester or year off from your Beloit College education? How confident are you that it is not in your best interest to take some time off from school? Are your reasons for wanting to return primarily academic or social, and how does that translate into academically successful behaviors? To whom have you talked about your situation (we suggest talking to your advisor and your family), and what is their advice to you?
- What went wrong that led to your poor academic performance and to what extent have you resolved it? From whom do you need help? Can you imagine performing better academically without full resolution of the problems that impeded your success? Can you document that your problems have been resolved?
- What will you need to do differently next semester if you are to be successful academically? How will you make yourself change your behavior?
If, after considering the above questions, you wish to appeal your suspension or dismissal, and continue with your Beloit College education immediately, you should provide the Academic Performance Committee with a written appeal by the deadline.
Your written appeal should contain the following:
- A clear statement of what you are appealing and why
- An explanation about why things did not go well academically and a specific set of actions you intend to take to improve your academic performance
- As appropriate for your circumstances: Documentation (e.g., medical) which verifies personal circumstances that impacted your academic performance
- The most helpful documentation clarifies the nature of your situation, dates you were impacted or treated, and typically includes professional assessment of the relationship between your circumstances and your academic performance.
- If your explanation involves circumstances for which you have no documentation, please explain why.
- A letter of support from your advisor
The Academic Performance Committee will review your appeal and notify you of their decision in writing via email by the deadline plus one day.