Welcome to the Psychology Department at Beloit College!
Please use the menu to the left or below to learn more about the program, including major requirements, student opportunities, and the faculty.
The Spring 2019 course schedule is now available on the Portal.
Advising Practicum Day will be held on Weds. October 31st. Join us from 1-2:30 for a student panel and information session on finding and applying for summer opportunities in Psychology and Health related fields.
Are you interested in declaring Psychology as your major? To do so, make an appointment with Kristin Bonnie, department chair, via this link.
Several of our majors are studying off-campus this spring. Students are learning in locations including Australia and the UK.
Sophomore Olivia Nasatir and Professor Alexis Grosofsky will participated in the 2018 Sanger Summer Scholars program.
Three of our seniors are completing thesis projects. Each is currently developing the design and methodology of an empirical study, and will collect data in the spring semester.
Andreea Hrehrociuc-Caragea '17 and Professor Larry White have learned that their article, "An Investigation of the Relationship between Psychological Flexibility and Bisexuality” has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Bisexuality. The article reports on the findings from Andreea's Senior Thesis research. Congrats!
Many recent graduates are pursuing an advanced degree in Psychology or a related field, including:
- Marlena Fraune ’11, recently completed her Ph.D. in Cognitive Science and Psychology at Indiana University.
- Mara Haupert, ’11, is also at Indiana University, working toward a Ph.D. in Social Psychology.
- Danica Slavish ’12, recently completed her Ph.D. in Biobehavioral Health at Penn State University.
- TingTing Fan '15, is at the University of Pennsylvania, working toward an M.A. in Human Development.
- Hannah McNamee ’15, is pursuing a master’s degree in the Maternal and Child Health Program at the University of Minnesota.
- Staci Gusakova'16, is at the University of Michigan, working toward a Ph.D. in the joint Women's Studies and Psychology program.
- Hailey Stevenson '16, is at George Williams College of Aurora University, working toward an MSW.
- Austin Brockmann ’17, is attending Oregon State University's College of Public Health and Human Sciences. He will pursue an MS/PhD in Human Development and an MPH in Biostatistics.
- Ruth McLeod ’17, is pursuing a PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience at the University of Connecticut.
- Emily Splan '17, is in the School Psychology program at Marquette University.
Other News From Alums
- Carmin Valerdi ’16, is the Crisis Line Coordinator at UNIDOS Against Domestic Violence in Madison. She supervises the Spanish-language crisis line.
- Jonah Stoller '15, is a research assistant at The University of Wisconsin-Madison's Center for Healthy Minds.
- Jamie Eversage ’12, and her husband Jonathan live on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. Jamie and Jonathan met at an ashram in India. In Hawaii, they operate a small business, selling handmade organic chocolates.
- Elizabeth (Liz) Majka ’03, is an assistant professor of psychology at Elmhurst College in Elmhurst, Illinois.
- Laura (Horsch) Nicolls ’01, is a partner in the Pacific Anxiety Group in Menlo Park, California. She provides cognitive-behavioral treatments to adults and children who suffer from depression or anxiety disorders.
- Dave Stauffacher ’97, is Senior Storage Engineer (it’s an IT thing) at Direct Supply, Inc., in Milwaukee. Direct Supply provides “equipment, eCommerce, and service solutions for Senior Living.”
- Tiffany Lightbourn ’94, is Chief of Research & Evaluation in the Office of Policy and Strategy at the Department of Homeland Security.