Welcome to the Psychology Department at Beloit College!
Please use the menu to the left to learn more about the program, including major requirements, student opportunities, and the faculty.
- Student Research
- Leiyi (Lynn) Qian presented the results of her thesis research at the College’s Student Symposium on April 13, 2017. The title of her presentation was “The Paradox of Choice in a Maximizer Versus Satisficer Context.”
- Andreea Hrehorciuc-Caragea presented the results of her thesis research at the annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association in Chicago on April 20, 2017. The title of Andreea’s research poster was “Androgyny and Cognitive Flexibility as Possible Benefits of Bisexuality.”
- Melissa Korniejczuk presented the results of her thesis research at Monmouth College’s Conference of Undergraduate Research & Scholarship on April 21, 2017. The title of Melissa’s research poster was “Psychological Sense of College LGBT Community: The Preliminary Validation Process.”
- Summer Positions
- Bresasha Duquaine will conduct research at Rutgers University with professors Judy Postmus and Laura Johnson in the Department of Social Work.
- Mallory Gribble will assist professor Larry White and legal scholar Michael Cicchini. They will conduct an experimental test of the impact of jury instructions on mock juror verdicts.
- Teresa Mendoza will intern in the legal department at World Relief in Wheaton, Illinois. World Relief partners with local churches and community groups to offer services to refugees and immigrants.
- Many recent graduates are pursuing an advanced degree in Psychology or a related field, including:
- Marlena Fraune ’11, is at Indiana University, working toward a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science and Psychology.
- Mara Haupert, ’11, is also at Indiana University, working toward a Ph.D. in Social Psychology.
- Danica Slavish ’12, is at Penn State, working toward a Ph.D. in Biobehavioral Health.
- Max King '14, is at UW- Milwaukee, working toward an Ed.S. (education specialist degree) in School Psychology.
- TingTing Fan '15, is at the University of Pennsylvania, working toward an M.A. in Human Development.
- Staci Gusakova'16, is at the University of Michigan, working toward a Ph.D. in Personality and Social Contexts.
- Hailey Stevenson '16, is at George Williams College of Aurora University, working toward an MSW.
- Austin Brockmann ’17, is fully-funded to attend Oregon State University's College of Public Health and Human Sciences. He will pursue an MS/PhD in Human Development and an MPH in Biostatistics.
- Madeleine Ipsen ’17, will attend Webster University in Vienna, Austria, to study counseling psychology.
- Ruth McLeod ’17, will pursue a PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience at the University of Connecticut. “I’ll be working in Dr. Fitch’s lab, looking at how to model premature birth and early brain injury in rats—and finding interventions that help improve outcomes for these types of injuries.”
Information about our alumni:
- Carmin Valerdi ’16, is the Crisis Line Coordinator at UNIDOS Against Domestic Violence in Madison. She supervises the Spanish-language crisis line.
- Hannah McNamee ’15, has left Epic Systems in Madison to pursue a master’s degree in the Maternal and Child Health Program at the University of Minnesota.
- Jamie Eversage ’12, and her husband Jonathan live on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. Jamie and Jonathan met at an ashram in India. In Hawaii, they operate a small business, selling handmade organic chocolates.
- Elizabeth (Liz) Majka ’03, is an assistant professor of psychology at Elmhurst College in Elmhurst, Illinois.
- Laura (Horsch) Nicolls ’01, is a partner in the Pacific Anxiety Group in Menlo Park, California. She provides cognitive-behavioral treatments to adults and children who suffer from depression or anxiety disorders.
- Dave Stauffacher ’97, is Senior Storage Engineer (it’s an IT thing) at Direct Supply, Inc., in Milwaukee. Direct Supply provides “equipment, eCommerce, and service solutions for Senior Living.”
- Tiffany Lightbourn ’94, is Chief of Research & Evaluation in the Office of Policy and Strategy at the Department of Homeland Security.