Skip Navigation

2010

The idea for the building is born as President Bierman takes an early run along the Rock River in his first year as president.


2011

President Bierman presents a rationale to the board of trustees and launches the first faculty, staff, and student-led feasibility and planning study with Angus Young Associates architects.


2012

The board of trustees approves further study of the project and endorses continuing talks with Alliant Energy to pursue the possible purchase of the Blackhawk Generating Station.


2013

The college selects Studio Gang Architects to design the Powerhouse, within months of the firm winning the National Design Award in Architecture from the Smithsonian’s Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum.


2014

Alliant Energy and Beloit College formally agree to terms on a definitive purchase agreement that will allow the college to retain the building and site upon completion of its fundraising goal.


2015

The board of trustees approves a formal resolution signaling its full support and its intention to shepherd the project to completion. The project will be 100% donor funded.


2016

Engaged in the development of the concept from the outset, members of the board of trustees step up with unparalleled financial leadership for the Powerhouse. Their pledges total over $17,000,000, constituting more than 40 percent of the $38 million necessary to fully fund the project. The Powerhouse also receives unanimous support and commitments from the Alumni Board and 1889 Council.