Skip Navigation

Off-Campus Study Policies


Other Information to Keep in Mind.


The Committee on International Education is responsible for reviewing study abroad applications.  It bases decisions on students' rationales and preparation for study abroad, and seeks to screen students in rather than screen students out.

A separate committee reviews applications for domestic off-campus study.  

Information on the application process can be found here.

Billing for off-campus study.

Students are billed for Beloit College tuition for the semester(s) they study off-campus.  In the case of exchanges, they may also be billed for student activity fees, room and/or board.   This page provides additional information.  Please also note the information under financial aid about the off-campus study tuition cap.


Students earn Beloit College credit for study abroad and domestic off-campus study. 

Course load.

Students studying off-campus must be full-time students, registered for no fewer than the equivalent of 3 Beloit College course units. Additionally, they must meet the full-time enrollment requirements of the host institution or sponsoring program. The maximum credit a student can receive for off-campus study is 5 Beloit College course units. Students must make sure they understand the credit system used by the host institution or study abroad provider, as courses may be weighted differently than at Beloit College.


Students are responsible for paying any required deposits.


Students are expected to have completed the five liberal arts breadth (domain) requirements before studying off campus as juniors or seniors.  Students studying off-campus as sophomores must indicate in their applications how and when they will complete the requirements, whether while off campus or upon return.

Eligibility for off-campus study.

To study off-campus, students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.  Cases of academic warning and probation will be considered individually. Students on disciplinary probation are not permitted to study off-campus.  Beloit College does not set a minimum GPA for off-campus study, although some study abroad options do.  Additionally, students may need to meet requirements designated for study at particular universities and programs, such as language proficiency, prior background in the subject area, and so on. Most students study off-campus as juniors and seniors, with a few studying off-campus as second semester sophomores.  Factors such as financial aid, disability, and gender identity are considered when reviewing applications, although these may affect program choice.

Financial aid.

Financial aid, including merit scholarships, applies to off-campus study tuition. The limit on the amount of program tuition to which Beloit College financial aid can be applied is $18,545 for academic year 2018/19. The vast majority of options have tuition lower than the cap. As well, some program providers offer scholarships, and federal financial aid may apply to the additional costs. If a program’s tuition exceeds the cap, the student is responsible for the additional amount as well as the tuition normally paid to Beloit College.  Students applying to programs with tuition near or above the cap must include a second option below the cap in their application for off-campus study. 


Grades for study abroad appear on students’ transcripts but are not factored into GPA calculations. Exception: Grades for courses with Beloit College course codes, such as Cities in Transition courses and summer block courses, are factored into GPA calculations.

Grades received for domestic off-campus study both appear on transcripts and are factored into GPA calculations.

Health insurance.

Health insurance is required for all study abroad, and must include coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation. Provider programs (ACM, CIEE, IES, SIT, etc) generally mandate a specific insurance plan, and some universities abroad require that students purchase a national insurance plan.

All other students will be enrolled in an iNext Comprehensive Plan with an additional rider for Security Evacuation.  The insurance is added to Beloit College semester payment bills.  The iNext Comprehensive Plan includes substantial health insurance, medical evacuation and repatriation, and Security Evacuation covers evacuation necessitated by political events and/or natural disasters.

Parent Employer Study Abroad.

If a student’s parent works at an educational institution that provides tuition benefits if the student enrolls in that institution, the student will be permitted to study abroad through that institution without paying tuition to Beloit College for the relevant semester. However, the student must complete the normal application process for study abroad and receive approval from the Committee on International Education. The parent’s employer is responsible for determining how the tuition benefit will apply to the cost of the study abroad.

Travel warnings.

Study abroad in countries or regions of countries subject to U.S. State Department Travel Warnings is only permitted under exceptional circumstances.

Tuition remission and full-tuition scholarships.

Students receiving tuition remission or full-tuition scholarships are limited to enrolling in exchange programs. When enrolling in other options, they will be responsible for any tuition above the tuition they pay to Beloit College.

Vacation terms and off-campus study.

Students may not receive credit toward the Beloit College degree for study abroad taking place during a vacation term. They may, however, earn transfer credit for domestic off-campus study undertaken on a vacation term. Beloit College financial aid, however, will not apply. Furthermore, students should note that the maximum number of course units that can be transferred toward the Beloit College degree is 15, only 2 of which may be earned in the senior year.


Students who withdraw from off-campus study before program end should notify the Office of International Education, Accounting, and Student Financial Services.  Refunds of tuition and other payments will depend host university/organization refund policies and the Beloit College refund schedule.

Other Information to Keep in Mind:

Liberal arts in practice requirement. 

Students may complete the liberal arts in practice requirement through off-campus study.  Open this link to find out how.


90% of students study off campus for one semester, with another 10% spending an academic year off-campus.

Registering for off-campus study.

Students preparing to study off-campus register in advance for 3 units of credit using the appropriate SAB (study abroad) or OFFC (domestic program) course code. The number of credits will be adjusted as appropriate upon receipt of the transcript for the completed off-campus study. Exception: Students taking Cities in Transition courses are registered for these using an IDST course code.

Registration during off-campus study for the following semester

Off-campus students are sent registration information approximately one-month before the registration period. They should communicate about course choices with their advisor prior to registering.  Once the registration period begins, they follow the same procedures as if they were on campus. If this will pose challenges because of their location or schedule, they can send a list of course preferences to the Registrar's office.  Staff in the office will register them based on their course preferences following the normal registration schedule.


Some countries require that students acquire visas before entering the country. Others require that students apply for residency permits in country. In both cases, students are responsible for the associated costs, as well as for obtaining their visas.  They should therefore familiarize themselves with visa and residence permit requirements well in advance.