Scholarships can help defray the cost of study abroad, support independent projects and language study, and provide opportunities for further study and research following graduation.

MOST COMMONLY AVAILABLE to Beloit College students. Application required.

Gilman Scholarship and Gilman Critical Need Language Supplement To support study abroad.  For Pell Grant Recipients.   October and March deadlines.  Follow these instructions for Beloit College applicants.

Fund for Education Abroad.  Includes scholarships to specifically support athletes and LGBTQ+ students. For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and DACA students.  January application deadline.

Freeman Asian Studies.  For U.S. citizens and permanent residents who will study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.  Application in the semester before study abroad.

Boren Scholarships To study abroad in countries where less-commonly taught languages are spoken and which are considered important to U.S. national security. Post-graduation requirement: One year of work for the federal government. Long-term study abroad prioritized.  For U.S. citizens.   February deadline

Beloit College Study Abroad Scholarships: 

The following scholarships were created by friends and alumni of Beloit College to support study abroad. Students with significant financial need are automatically considered for these.  No application required.

  • Dan and Laverne Schroeder Fund:  For study abroad on Beloit College programs for students with financial need.            
  • John and Sally Burris Fund:  For study abroad for students with financial need.      
  • Class of 2008:  For off-campus study (domestic or study abroad) for students with financial need.
  • Luke Somers '08 Memorial Fund Luke Somers ’08 had an insatiable wanderlust and commitment to understand and serve the world by telling the stories of the communities that he chronicled as a photojournalist, writer, wanderer, and friend to so many. His values and commitments have inspired the Beloit College community to establish the Luke Somers’08 Memorial Fund to provide financial assistance to students pursuing study abroad opportunities to enhance their experiential knowledge of the world. Preference will be given to those students seeking to gain understanding about the peoples and cultures of the Middle East.

Other scholarships:

Carry out a project

During study abroad - Study Abroad Enhancement Grants.  During winter and summer breaks - Asian Studies, International Education and Weissberg Human Rights Grants

Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship To conduct brief work in a foreign country to help advance the goals of UNESCO.

Study a language

Continue your education post graduation

For other funding opportunities available through Beloit College, check with your department. For funding for study abroad at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, see IIE Passport