Affordability, Budgeting & Financing
- Options costing less than a semester at Beloit College.
- Options by major list costs vis-a-vis Beloit on-campus costs
- All students pay Beloit College tuition. Tuition payments do not change for 99% of participants.
- Financial aid, including Beloit College scholarships, applies to off-campus study during the academic year.
- Most students are responsible for room and/or board while abroad, and do not pay these to Beloit College.
- However, students enrolling in exchange programs may pay room and/or board to Beloit College. See the individual pages for Beloit programs for this detail.
- Additionally, the ACM's comprehensive fee appears on Beloit semester charges.
- Students with Pell Grants should apply for the Benjamin Gilman scholarship to study abroad.
- Students with financial need are automatically considered for the College's travel scholarships.
- Provider programs often offer scholarships.
- Church and community groups may provide scholarships.
- See also this list of Scholarships
- Study Abroad Length: If you select an English university on the term system, study abroad in the fall lasts roughly 11 weeks, and in the spring, 22 weeks. English universities on the semester system have calendars closer to Beloit’s.
- Semester Start and End Dates: In the southern hemisphere, the first semester runs from mid-March through July, and the second semester from late July until early November. German academic calendars and some Japanese calendars also differ from Beloit’s.
- Travel Costs: Check airfare to your host country. Airfare to Australia, China, Japan, or New Zealand is going to cost more than airfare to Europe or Latin America.
- Visas: Visas are sometimes required, but not always. The costs of visas vary widely from country to country, as do application procedures. Some countries require a personal visit to a consulate to apply for a visa. Please note the some countries require proof of a certain amount of funds in a student's bank account before issuing a visa. This is true in the United Kingdom for students studying for two semesters, as well as in Japan, among other locations. It is therefore important to check the requirements for visas before committing to a study location.
- Optional expenses. Play sports? There is no cost for using sports facilities in Ireland, but there is in England and Australia, and in some countries, universities do not have sports facilities. Student clubs may charge a modest participation fee. Will you live on campus, or take public transportation to get there? Plan to travel?
Other tips for securing funding for off-campus study / experiences
- Try fundraising online: Project Travel (available for domestic and international plans) and FundMyTravel (for international experiences).
- Enhancement grants are available to help support small project development during study abroad.
- International education and Weissberg International Human Rights grants can support more extended projects during summer breaks.
- LAPC-administered grants for summer experiences.
- If you choose a program for which tuition exceeds $17,918, you will need to pay any tuition above this cap in addition to the tuition you pay to Beloit College.
- If you have with tuition remission or tuition exchange, you will want to choose an exchange program unless you are able to pay the relevant university/program tuition. Consult the financial aid office if this applies to you.