China Exchange Program
Students attend one of the universities, chosen in consultation with their advisor.
- Fall semester or academic year
- Three units of Chinese language courses focused on listening, speaking and writing skills. Written and oral tests to determine placement.
- One unit Chinese Cities in Transition course taught by a Beloit College professor. The course begins with the professor in Kaifeng before the start of the university year, and meets again in Jinan during mid-term break. At the center of the course are ethnographic research projects. Past projects have focused on night markets, parks, restaurants, a Catholic church and hospice, and other sites. The internet is used for much of the course delivery.
- Housing in an international student dormitory on campus. Rooms equipped with bathrooms.
- Henan: Beloit College tuition, room and board (double room), the Beloit activities fee, $50 overseas administrative fee, and a $90 wellness fee.
- Shandong: Beloit College tuition and room, the Beloit activities fee, $50 overseas administrative fee, and a $90 wellness fee. Students provide their own food.
- Two years of Mandarin Chinese is required, with third year Chinese recommended. Students have found it very useful to take intensive Chinese through Beloit College's Center for Language Studies the summer immediately before their semester in China.
- At least one course in modern Chinese history, society, or government.
- Program highlights: Historically and culturally rich cities, prestigious institutions of higher learning, opportunity to engage with local communities through the Chinese Cities in Transition course.
Grade & Credit Conversion Tables:
- Henan University