Skip Navigation

Visiting Scholar Information

Inviting a Short -Term Scholar to Beloit College

The Office of International Education (OIE) is responsible for assisting departments at the College when a visa is involved in bringing to campus a visiting professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, or specialist.  In consultation with the visitor’s host, OIE decides which category is most suitable.  

A prospective visiting scholar receives an invitation letter from the College, and/or a specific department, along with an immigration document called a DS2019 (produced by OIE), which allows the scholar to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate.   

Please be aware that U.S. immigration law prohibits employers from remunerating such visitors without work authorization.  Compensation is considered as travel reimbursement, housing, food, or a stipend.  When the scholar successfully obtains a J-1 visa and enters the U.S. on a J-1 visa s/he is “has J-1 immigration status.”  One of the privileges of J-1 status is work authorization.

How to Bring a Visiting Scholar to Campus

What the Department or Faculty Host needs to do:

  1. Consult with OIE about the appropriate visa category for the scholar.
  2. Forward a copy of the invitation letter that has been sent to the scholar to the OIE.  The letter needs to include the dates of the visit, the activities in which the scholar will engage, and the amount and type of compensation.  If the scholar will engage in activities elsewhere at Beloit, this should be indicated.
  3. Complete the J-1 Scholar Request Form (Word document) and submit it to Josie Inaldo, the International Student Advisor,, who will produce a DS-2019 and send it to the department/faculty host.
  4. Ask the scholar if s/he has: a U.S. Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).  Documentation of one of these two numbers is necessary if the scholar is to receive an honorarium. If the person has neither an SSN or an ITIN, s/he then will need to ask the U.S. consulate to provide him/her a “certified true copy” of his/her passport photo page before traveling to the United States.  Failure to submit this copy to OIE upon arrival to Beloit College may delay the issuance of an honorarium for several months.
  5. The department sends the DS-2019 and letter of invitation to the scholar in their home country so that s/he can apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate.
  6. Once the scholar arrives to campus, s/he must come to OIE, complete the International Scholar Information Sheet (Word file), and bring this and his/her immigration documents (passport, DS-2019, and I-94 card) to the Office of International Education.  The scholar will also need to complete the Form I-9 in the Office of Human Resources (726 Church St.) if receiving an honorarium.

What the scholar needs to do:

  1. Apply for a visa in the scholar’s home country. When making the visa interview, if the visitor does not have a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), s/he must request a "true certified copy" of his/her passport during the visa interview. This "certified copy" is required by Beloit College in order to pay honoraria to persons that do not have an SSN or ITIN.
  2. Verify that s/he has the minimum health insurance coverage required for J-1 visa category:  $50,000 per illness or accident, $10,000 for medical evacuation, and $7,500 for repatriation of remains to your home country in case of death.  Maternity (pregnancy, pre-natal, and birth) benefits must be included.  International scholars must present evidence of health insurance within 7 calendar days of arrival at Beloit College.
  3. Notify OIE before leaving the campus so that their exit can be recorded as per federal immigration regulations.