Skip Navigation

Text Only/ Printer-Friendly

Banner Image

J-1 Visa Information for ISEP Students

International students participating in an ISEP exchange at Beloit College should visit the ISEP information page on the J-1 visitor’s visa.  Your DS-2019 will be issued by ISEP.  (ISEP exchanges are through the ISEP network and are separate from exchanges with Beloit’s international partners).  

General information:

Arrival information:

Travel Validation: You must turn in your DS-2019 to the Office of International Education to be mailed to ISEP as soon as possible after arrival for travel signature.

Social Security Number Letter: ISEP can issue letters for students to receive a social security number, if requested. The Office of International Education can email the individual program officer at ISEP to request this.

Employment Authorization: Students can do on-campus, part-time jobs during the semester (form under Guidelines and Forms). Students need to come to the ISEP coordinator to obtain the form and signatures. Students may not begin working unless they have received ISEP’s authorization letter.

Academic Training: Students can stay in the US after their exchange to pursue Academic Training in a job directly related to their academic field of study at the host. They must find the job offer and complete the request form (found in ISEP Guidelines and Forms). ISEP will extend their program end date in SEVIS and send a new DS-2019.

Extension Information: Students must complete a form available from the Office of International Education’s ISEP coordinator. Deadlines: December 1 and May 1.