Skip Navigation

Faculty Travel Checklist

[  ]    Obtain a valid passport.  Instructions on State Department Website here.

[  ]    Obtain all necessary visas.  (See "Visa" below)

[  ]    Familiarize yourself with the benefits offered by your medical insurance policy.  We strongly recommend that you purchase a short-term policy from iNext to cover any care you may need abroad.  If you are doing College work (including sabbatical), Beloit College's limited emergency medical insurance policy will cover immediate accident and medical evacuation but not doctor or hospital care in-country.

[  ]    Designate an emergency contact person at home who would be able to relay health information to doctors in the event that you are incapacitated.   Provide the College with this person's home phone number, cell phone number, and email address.  

[  ]    Visit the Accounting Office and complete a power of attorney authorization. This will allow them to process any documents in need of your signature while you are abroad.

[  ]    Clear any research with Beloit College's IRB.  See the IRB website for more information. 

[  ]   Seek professional medical guidance on health concerns and immunization needs for the area which you will be visiting (see "Health/Immunizations" below).  Information on your host country can be found at the Centers for Disease Control website.

[  ]    Continue to read and research about your host country and culture.

[  ]    Register your travel with the US Department of State, which will alert your local embassy.  Use the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.  You can also sign up for the State Department travel smart app.

[  ]    Prepare for safety and security abroad by reading Beloit College's Health and Safety page and tips on preparing for, avoiding and managing incidents.

[  ]    Make a plan for getting money abroad. (Alert your bank that you will be traveling)

[  ]    If you are leading a group of students, you must:

  1. Meet with the Office of International Education to review Beloit College's Emergency Response Plan
  2. obtain a copy of the Emergency Response quick reference booklet
  3. create a list of recommended hospitals, doctors, and mental health practitioners who speak English in the host city.  US Embassies keep lists on Finding Doctors Abroad.
  4. submit a travel itinerary to the Office of International Education
  5. submit a contingency plan to the Office of International Education, including how instruction and safety/security will be assured in the event that you are unable to continue your duties, or in the event natural or manmade events that disrupt the program or the ability of students to participate in the program.  
  6. make sure that all student participants have submitted all required information to the Office of International Education.

[  ]    Familiarize yourself with your host country's telephone code so that you may be reached from outside the country, and with the exit code for calling the US.   

[  ]    Many other tips on the US State Department's Tips for Traveling Abroad


A student visa is required for most countries.  You must send your valid passport with your visa application so make sure that you apply for a passport well enough in advance to allow yourself ample time for acquiring a visa.  Visa application processing times can take as long as 90 days or more. 

Visa applications and process information can be obtained from the consulates of the country in which you will be studying.  For a list of consular offices for the country in which you will be studying visit   You can also obtain information and apply for a visa through


Plan ahead for health care and the immunization and documentation requirements for the countries you will visit.  Get all necessary dental work completed before you travel.  Take an extra pair of eye glasses (or contact lenses) and a copy of your prescription. Check Consular information for regulations and restrictions on the transportation of medications within your host country. Research the availability of medications you may need during your stay. Remember to bring a copy of any prescriptions for medication as you may be asked to show them in order to bring prescription medications across the border.  Please note any restrictions on importation of medications listed in the US State Department's country information. 

Consult with a medical provider about which immunizations are suggested or required for your host country--they can take several weeks to complete.  Allow ample time.  Don't crowd vaccinations.  Please be sure to check the Centers for Disease Control’s website for the most up to date information on your study abroad location. Their website is . Also check your host country’s information sheets for any restrictions on importation of both over the counter and prescription drugs.

Hospital equipment in developing countries may be lacking.  Consider taking a medical kit with you.

Motor Vehicles: 

Students may not own or operate a motor vehicle while their program is in session unless permission is granted by the respective program director or the Office of International Education.  (Exception:  motorized bicycles used for local travel only when specifically approved.)  In all cases, students must inform themselves of the laws of the host country.


Host institutions and on-site Beloit College faculty advisors have emergency action plans that guide them through emergency situations.  In case of an emergency beyond the competence or jurisdiction of the on-site Beloit College faculty director or the authorities of the host institution, or an emergency that occurs while the student is away from the program site, faculty leaders should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy and the Office of International Education at Beloit College by whatever means possible (fax, email, phone, etc.).  If an incident occurs, please complete an Incident Report and return send it to