Regardless of where you are, on campus, at home or anywhere else life or Beloit College leads you, we want you to be safe! Please see the basic safety tips below, that are geared towards campus, but can help you anywhere.
Personal Safety Tips:
If you haven’t already done so, add Security’s telephone number (608-363-2355) to your cell phone now.
Avoid walking alone at night, particularly in isolated areas with limited lighting. If you are on campus, contact Security (608-363-2355) for an escort.
If you must walk alone, let a friend know where you are going and call your friend when you arrive safely. Consider carrying a whistle, or other sound-making device, to alert others if you have trouble.
Be alert. If you are being followed, head quickly (run if necessary) to a lighted area, building, or group of people. If you are on campus, go to the nearest emergency telephone and call Security (ext. 2355), or use your cell phone to call 608-363-2355. A campus map, which shows the locations of the emergency telephones is available here (make Link). If you are off campus, use your cell phone to dial 911.
When you are on campus, don’t prop open the entry doors to residential halls. Residential entry doors are locked 24/7 for your protection. If you find them open, you have the right to close and secure them for your safety and the safety of others. If a door is malfunctioning, contact Security.
Always have your keys and student ID/Access card with you at all times.
Keep your doors locked when studying alone or sleeping in your room.
For you protection, no one is allowed to sleep in residential hall lounges.
Report any suspicious persons to Security. Do not attempt to confront or apprehend subjects yourself; quickly observe as much as you can and call Security immediately.
If you are the victim of an assault:
- Remain as calm and aware as possible
- notice everything you can about the perpetrator; clothing, height, weight, hair(including facial hair), speech, tattoos, glasses, direction headed, etc.
- Preserve any physical evidence. Do not touch any object that may have been handled by the assailant.
- Seek assistance from Security immediately (608-363-2355) immediately; if off campus dial 911.
Property Safety Tips:
Minor thefts of personal property are the most common crimes on campuses. It is perhaps one of the most difficult crimes for our Security staff to prevent. You, however, have a great deal of control in the prevention of personal property thefts simply by following some common sense guidelines.
- Keep your room door locked at all times, even if you will only be gone “just a few minutes”.
- Record serial numbers, brand names, model numbers, and descriptions of valuable items for your records.
- Immediately notify Security (608-363-2355) if you observe any suspicious activity.
- Report all faulty locks, doors, windows, lighting to your RA or Security.
- Always take your purse, wallet, phone, iPod, laptop, or other valuables with you when you leave a lounge, classroom, or a table at the Library. Never leave your laptop unattended! Always lock your backpack or book bag in your room when going to a meal at Commons.
- Always lock your bicycle using a strong lock. Chains should be at least 3/8” in diameter and cables at least 1/4” in diameter (not including the plastic covering). “U” shaped locks are the best when secured through an immovable portion of your bike’s frame. Remove quick release items form your bike and store them in your room. Record serial numbers, model numbers, etc. for your records. Should your bike be stolen, you will need this information to get your bike back.
- Always lock your vehicle doors and park in well lit areas whenever possible. Never leave your keys in your vehicle. Avoid leaving property in your vehicle. If you must do so, lock it in the trunk, or conceal any valuables so that they are not visible.
Summary of Personal and Property Safety Tips: Make a commitment not to be a “victim”. Follow up on this commitment with an effort to use precautionary measures whenever possible. Never be hesitant to contact Security with any questions, or for assistance (608-363-2355).