Finding your first courses.
New students register for courses in July and make adjustments during New Student Days, the orientation period preceding the first week of classes. Students are matched with a first-year advisor, who helps them plan out their first semester schedule.
Tips for successful registration planning:
- You may register for a maximum of 4.75 units.
- Identify at least 8 courses that you would like to take. Select primary course selections as well as alternates, in case you cannot get into all of your first-choice selections.
- Look carefully at the necessary prerequisites.
- Double check meeting times, so you don’t schedule a time conflict.
- Current students have already registered, so some courses appear closed. We do hold seats in many classes for incoming students each semester.
- The normal course load per term is 4 units. At least 3 units per term are required for classification as a full-time student. A minimum of 1.50 units per term is required for classification as a half-time student.