Maintaining J-1 Status


  • You must enroll full time every fall and spring semester.
  • Full time enrollment at Beloit College means taking a minimum of 3 units. Most students take 4-4.75 units each semester.
  • You must obtain approval from the International Student Advisor before withdrawing from your classes or becoming a part-time student (rare).


  • Students holding J-1 status must receive authorization from the International Student Advisor before beginning any employment.
  • On-campus employment may be authorized for a maximum of 20 hours/week. You must have written authorization from the International Student Advisor for each specific job that you are hired for. 
  • Off-campus employment authorization is limited. Please consult with the International Student Advisor before accepting or beginning off-campus employment. Refer also to Employment and Internships.

Notification Requirements

Notify the Office of International Education within 10 days when any of the following happen:

  • You move to a new residence hall room or you move off campus
  • Your email address or telephone number change
  • You decide to withdraw from Beloit College, change to a new school, take a vacation term.
  • Your status in the United States changes.

Health Insurance

You are required to have health insurance for the length of your entire J-1 program. The health insurance must meet certain minimum requirements.

  • Students participating in Bilateral Exchanges will have the Beloit College Health Insurance Plan.
  • Students participating in ISEP exchanges will have the ISEP sponsored insurance plan. 

Travel and Documentation

  • Before traveling outside of the United States, make sure that you have all the necessary documents for travel and re-entry.
  • J-1 degree students planning to study abroad must meet with the International Student Advisor to discuss how this will affect your status. 
  • Always keep your passport valid. Renew it before it expires.

Program Changes

  • You must update your DS-2019 whenever you declare, change or add a major.
  • If you will not complete your program by the end date listed on your DS-2019, you must apply for an extension before the last day.

End of Program

  • Upon completing your studies at Beloit College you must depart the United States within 30 days of the program.
  • If you plan to do post-completion Academic Training, you must receive the authorization before the last day of your program. 
  • Degree-seeking students should meet with the International Student Advisor no later than the beginning of your final semester to discuss post-completion options.
  • Exchange (non-degree) students should meet with the International Student Advisor as early as possible to discuss your options for after your program.  

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. Read our Web Privacy Policy for more information.

Got it! ×