On-Campus Employment

At Beloit College, employment is considered to be on-campus when your employer is Beloit College. 

Rules for Eligibility

There are two different sets of rules that affect who can work on campus and how many hours you can work.

  • Institutional Rules: These are the rules made by Beloit College for all students that determine who can work on campus, when you can apply for jobs and how many hours you can work. Many of these things are determined by the type of financial aid you are receiving. You can find the details about campus employment at the Beloit College Student Employment Website.
  • Federal (Government) Rules: Students holding F-1 or J-1 status are subject to additional government rules for working related to your immigration status.
    • Number of Hours
      • Students holding F-1 or J-1 status may not work on campus more than 20 hours/week total when school is in session.
      • You are responsible for keeping track of how many hours you are working to make sure that you do not go over 20 hours. This is especially important if you are working more than one job on campus.
    • Proof of Authorization
      • F-1 Status Students: Your valid I-20 is your proof of eligibility to work on campus.
      • J-1 Status Students: You must have written authorization for each job that you have on campus. After you find a job, please come see the International Student Advisor. You will either receive the authorization directly from the International Student Advisor or the International Student Advisor will help you to submit the request for authorization to ISEP.

Payroll, Social Security, and Taxes

  • Before you begin working, you will need to go to the Payroll office on the 3rd floor of Pearsons Hall to complete hiring paperwork. 
  • You will also need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number if you do not already have one. This is done at the Social Security Administration Office in Janesville, WI and requires documents from your supervisor on campus and the International Student Advisor.  Please go to the Social Security Trip request form to initiate the applic this process with the International Student Advisor.

Social Security Trip Request Form

  • In the spring of each year, you will have to file taxes with the Internal Revenue Service about the money you earned. Please watch your email for a message from the Payroll Office with instructions on how to file your tax forms.

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. Read our Web Privacy Policy for more information.

Got it! ×