Employment & Internships

Gain valuable career skills from your first semester on campus. 

Employment while you are a student is a great way to put your classroom learning into practice. Students with F-1 and J-1 status are allowed to work during their programs. However, the rules about the types of employment and the amount of employment allowed are very specific.

You are responsible for making sure that you know what you have permission to do. Working without the proper permission can have severe consequences now or in the future, so it is important that you know what is allowed. 

What is employment?

  • For immigration purposes, employment is considered to be any task performed for which you receive or should have received compensation (payment). As a student with F-1 or J-1 status, you should always make sure that you have the correct permission before you begin employment. 
  • Some opportunities may not seem like employment because you aren’t receiving a paycheck. However, compensation for work done can take a number of forms for immigration purposes.
  • Examples of compensation include (but are not limited to) a wage or salary, a stipend, receiving housing, meals and discounts. 
  • Work for cash, even casual work (e.g. babysitting, housework, yard work) is still considered employment and requires authorization. 
  • Working for free (e.g. not accepting payment for something that is normally paid) is still considered employment.  

What permission do I need?

The type of permission available to you depends on your status (F-1 or J-1), the amount of time you have been in that status, your program of study and, sometimes, your financial situation.  Please refer to the details on the individual pages below to learn more and make an appointment to talk with the International Student Advisor.

Working on campus

  • At Beloit College, employment is considered to be on-campus when your employer is Beloit College.  
  • Students with F-1 status and students with J-1 status are allowed to work on campus but the process is different.   Both groups are limited by the regulations to a maximum of 20 hours a week during the school year. 
  • Learn more about On-Campus Employment


Practical experiences that are part of your program of study are highly encouraged at Beloit College. 

Work after graduating

Students with F-1 status and students with J-1 status have the opportunity to work in their majors immediately following graduation.

Other types of employment authorization

Other, less frequently used employment authorizations are also available. Please make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss these.

Where can I learn more about the laws on employment?

Regulations governing employment for F-1 and J-1 status students can be found in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations in the following sections:

  • 8 C.F.R. 214.2 (f)(9) [F-1 Employment]
  • 8 C.F.R. 214.2 (f)(10) [F-1 Practical Training]
  • 22 C.F.R. 62.23(g) [J-1 Employment other than Academic Training]
  • 22 C.F.R. 62.23(f) [J-1 Academic Training]

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. Read our Web Privacy Policy for more information.

Got it! ×