Maintaining J-1 Status
- You must enroll full time every fall and spring semester.
- Full time enrollment at Beloit College means taking a minimum of 3 units. Most students take 4-4.75 units each semester.
- You must obtain approval from the International Student Advisor before withdrawing from your classes or becoming a part-time student (rare).
- Students holding J-1 status must receive authorization from the International Student Advisor before beginning any employment.
- On-campus employment may be authorized for a maximum of 20 hours/week. You must have written authorization from the International Student Advisor for each specific job that you are hired for.
- Off-campus employment authorization is limited. Please consult with the International Student Advisor before accepting or beginning off-campus employment. Refer also to Employment and Internships.
Notify the Office of International Education within 10 days when any of the following happen:
- You move to a new residence hall room or you move off campus
- Your email address or telephone number change
- You decide to withdraw from Beloit College, change to a new school, take a vacation term.
- Your status in the United States changes.
You are required to have health insurance for the length of your entire J-1 program. The health insurance must meet certain minimum requirements.
- Students participating in Bilateral Exchanges will have the Beloit College Health Insurance Plan.
- Students participating in ISEP exchanges will have the ISEP sponsored insurance plan.
Travel and Documentation
- Before traveling outside of the United States, make sure that you have all the necessary documents for travel and re-entry.
- J-1 degree students planning to study abroad must meet with the International Student Advisor to discuss how this will affect your status.
- Always keep your passport valid. Renew it before it expires.
- You must update your DS-2019 whenever you declare, change or add a major.
- If you will not complete your program by the end date listed on your DS-2019, you must apply for an extension before the last day.
End of Program
- Upon completing your studies at Beloit College you must depart the United States within 30 days of the program.
- If you plan to do post-completion Academic Training, you must receive the authorization before the last day of your program.
- Degree-seeking students should meet with the International Student Advisor no later than the beginning of your final semester to discuss post-completion options.
- Exchange (non-degree) students should meet with the International Student Advisor as early as possible to discuss your options for after your program.