Optional Practical Training
Practical experience related to your major before or after graduation for F-1 students.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is employment authorization granted by the U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). It enables F-1 status students to gain work experience in their field of study at their degree level.
- You must have valid F-1 status
- You must have been enrolled full-time at Beloit College for at least the last academic year
- You must be in good academic standing
- Pre-Completion OPT
- During summer vacation (full time)
- While school is in session (part time only)
- Standard Post-Completion OPT
- Immediately following graduation
- 24-Month STEM Extension
- For students with qualifying STEM majors
- Must be previously approved for standard post-completion OPT
- Must have employment that meets requirements for STEM authorization
Length of Authorization
- 12 months of OPT authorization per degree level
- STEM Extension is 24 months
- OPT employment must be directly related to the major listed on your I-20 form.
- Students on standard post-completion OPT must be employed at least 20 hours per week. You may be unemployed a maximum of 90 days out of the 12 months.
- Students authorized for OPT must report all changes to employment to the International Student Advisor within 10 days of the change.
- Do this by completing the OPT Reporting Form or by logging in to your SEVP Portal Account.