We created this toolbox to help connect our students to online resources for help with homework, college preparation, the college search and application process, and financial aid. It is our hope that middle school and high school students will find these links useful.
Preparing for College
- KnowHow2Go - A great site with lots of info on college for students 6-12 grades
- College Board: 20 Questions to Ask Your School Counselor -A good list of questions for your next guidance counseling appointment
- College Board: Preparing for Admissions Tests-Tips about how to prepare for the SAT and/or ACT
- ACT Prep -Tips for preparing for the ACT
- PSAT Prep -Tips for preparing for the PSAT/NMSQT
College Search/Applying to College
- The Common Application - A college application accepted by over 400 institutions
- The Common Black College Application - A college application that allows students to apply to over 60 Historically Black Colleges and Universities with one application
- Find My HBCU - Explore, compare, and find your future Historically Black College or University
- Sallie Mae College Answer: Applying to College - Tools, checklists, and other helpful info for applying to college
- Campus Tours- Virtual Tours of Lots of Different Campuses
- College Board: College Visit Checklist -A list of things to make sure you do on your next college visit
- Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities - Wisconsin’s private colleges and universities
- UW System - Wisconsin’s public universities
- College Board: Insuring Your Application isn’t Missing Any Parts - How to make sure your college application doesn’t get lost
- College Board: College Application Checklist - A checklist to keep track of where you are in the college application process for each of the schools you are applying for
- Colleges That Change Lives - Profiles of 40 exceptional colleges
- College Board: College Search - A college search engine
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- FAFSA - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, required to receive financial aid
- Stateline Community Foundation- Scholarships specifically for students from Beloit and surrounding areas
- Gates Millenium Scholars Program - Full-ride scholarship for minority students
- FastWeb- Scholarship Search Engine
- Scholarships.com - scholarship search engine
- FinAid! - Financial aid info and scholarship search
- Beloit Memorial High School-Scholarships available in the guidance office (click the box that says “scholarships” to view what is currently available)
- Khan Academy- Do practice problems and watch videos teaching you how to do the problems step by step. Earn points and badges for all the problems you try, log your goals, and create a profile showing your skills, activity, and achievements.
- Wolfram Alpha- Get information about different types of math, or type in a math problem to check your answers and see the steps of how to complete the problem.
- Math.com Algebra Worksheet Generator- Tell the site what types of problems you want and it will create a worksheet (and answer guide). Great for giving yourself extra practice!
- Webmath.com- Click on your subject and then a sub-subject. Put in the problem, you’re having trouble with and it explains how to solve it.
- Dave’s Short Trig Course- Notes on many trigonometry topics.
- College Board: Battling Math Anxiety- Suggestions for doing your best in math
- Math.com- Math lessons for everything from Basic Math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Calculus, and more.
- Coolmath.com- fun site with lots of lessons, math games, etc. for ages 13 and up
- Discovery Education Math Help Links- Links to lots of helpful websites for all types of math
- Purdue Online Writing Lab- Tons of great information. They have really informative MLA and APA formatting guides, as well as lots of articles about the writing process, rhetoric and logic, essay genres, style and language, citations, and more
- Online Dictionary & Thesaurus- Look up word definitions in the dictionary or find similar words to help you avoid repetition using the thesaurus
- Discovery Education English Help Links- Links to lots of helpful websites for various language arts topics such as grammar, literature, poetry, vocabulary, and more
- Internet4Classrooms- Nearly 100 links to various fun and useful language arts resources
- WebElements- Online Periodic Table. Click on the elements to get lots of info about them.
- Khan Academy- Watch video lectures on a variety of different science topics, and ask questions about topics you don’t understand. Earn points and badges for all the problems you try, log your goals, and create a profile showing your skills, activity, and achievements.
- Science Buddies- Science Fair Project Topic Selection Wizard. Asks you various questions about yourself and your preferences and then suggests multiple projects that are best suited for you
- Discovery Education Science Help Links- Links to helpful resources for many various science topics
- OnlineConversion.com- Online unit converter. Click on the type of conversion (for example, temperature, speed, length, etc.), then convert!
- ITS Tutorial School Science Resources- Physics notes
- Fun Science Resources- Links to lots of different resources geared more toward younger students
- Science.gov- Government website about science
- Discovery Education Social Studies Help Links- Links to helpful resources for many various social studies topics
- Social Studies for Kids- Lots of different social studies info geared more toward younger students
- Memrise- Learn any of the more than 150 languages on their site for free using interactive flashcards and vivid imagery and audio.
- LiveMocha- Take free courses, converse with native speakers, write passages and get them corrected, play interactive learning games, and more with this great website designed to help you learn foreign languages.
- Busuu- Learn languages online with interactive language courses and lessons.
- Kids.gov- Government website with lots of different info and activities on academic subjects for middle schoolers
- Infoplease Homework Center- General info/homework help for core classes
- Discovery Education- Homework help for lots of subjects (math, science, English, social studies, foreign language, health, art, reference, research, technology, etc.)