The Office of Academic Diversity and Inclusiveness (OADI) recognizes and aims to dismantle the structural barriers in place that prohibit the attainment of our college mission for underserved and underrepresented students. OADI reimagines how diversity and inclusion operates by using an equity asset-based framework. This entails reforming institutional structures and practices to position underrepresented bodies and their assets (lived experiences, skills, and mindsets) at the center. OADI recognizes and values marginalized approaches to knowledge production and dissemination. Our work disrupts understandings of what is considered â€œacademicâ€ by centering and valuing non-majority discursive practices and ways of knowing.
This is accomplished through:
- Providing targeted, asset-based programming to ensure all students have an equitable, inclusive space and place to live and learn at Beloit College.
- Support student efforts to challenge dominant understandings of what is considered â€œacademicâ€ as a means to create more equitable institutional opportunities for underserved and underrepresented students.
- Re-envisioning pedagogy and recognizing the validity and importance of student lived experiences, with the goal of creating inclusive classrooms through an equity asset-based framework.
- Developing faculty and staff to embed an equity asset-based framework in curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Establishing benchmarks and measuring progress through purposeful and ongoing research and assessment of campus activities around diversity, inclusiveness, and equity.