MEDIA CONTACT: Hilary Dickinson at email@example.com or 608-363-2849
Beloit College received an $80,870 Think BIG! grant from the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation last fall to fund paid internships for 15 students this summer. After a competitive application process, the student participants have been selected along with their respective internship sites and positions. They are as follows:
- Will McShane’15, a psychology and French double major, will have a nonprofit administration internship at Beloit Regional Hospice.
- Natalie Heard’15, an anthropology major and museum studies minor, will have an exhibitions and assessment internship at the Burpee Museum of Natural History in Rockford, Ill.
- Glenne Tietzer’16 and Sara Jones’17 will both intern at the Rock County Historical Society based in Janesville, Wis. Tietzer, an anthropology major and museum studies minor, will work in collections. Jones, an international relations and Spanish double major, will work with memberships.
- Psychology and anthropology double major Miranda James’15 will be a program intern at Diversity Action Team of Rock County based in Janesville, Wis.
- Three students will intern at the Downtown Beloit Association: business economics major Zedal Araia’15; John Bakewell’16 who double majors in education and youth studies and Chinese language and culture; and Grace Gockel’16, a studio art major with art history and Spanish minors. Araia will have an economic development internship, and Bakewell and Gockel will have marketing/social media internships.
- Marie Burchardt’17, who majors in sociology and minors in health and society and legal studies, will have a public health internship at HealthNet of Rock County based in Janesville, Wis.
- Education and youth studies and sociology double major Nate Brault’15 will have a media and marketing internship at Visit Beloit in the city of Beloit.
- Bushel & Peck’s Local Market in Beloit will host two interns: Felicia Hernandez’15, a health and society major minoring in history, who will have a logistics and inventory internship and Alex Boyd’15, a literary studies and sociology double major, who will have a production internship.
- Business economics major Pilivesburg Salanoa’15 will be an accounting intern at Hufcor in Janesville, Wis., where John Jefferys-White’15, an economics and mathematics double major, will be a marketing intern.
- Angel Idowu’17, a political science major who minors in journalism, will have a reporting internship at the Janesville Gazette.
Student candidates were identified from an application process by a committee of faculty and staff that included Director of Career Development Jessica Fox-Wilson, Emily Sager from the Liberal Arts in Practice Center, Dan Bartlett from the Logan Museum of Anthropology, Mark Spreitzer from the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, Senior Director of Corporate Relations Dan Schooff and Laura Grube from the economics department. The students who ranked the highest following their on-site interviews were offered the internships.
For more information on the Think BIG! grant and the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation, click here.