Skip Navigation

Declaring Major/Minor

We are thrilled if you want to declare a mathematics major or minor (or even if you are just thinking about it). To help ensure your needs are met in the best possible way, you should discuss your major/minor plans with a math advisor before declaring a math major/minor. This makes sure you understand what will be needed, create an appropriate plan, and get to know an advisor in the math program. You are welcome to do this at any time and are encouraged to do this earlier rather than later so it is fine to approach an advisor even if you are uncertain about getting a math major/minor. You are welcome to create a plan even if you don't declare at that time. If you are uncertain about which advisor to approach, you can consult with the department chair (Steven Huss-Lederman, to determine who might be the most appropriate advisor to have this discussion. Once you have a plan in place and decide you want to declare a major/minor, you should come to see the department chair (see above) to fill in a major/minor declaration card (card can be provided during the meeting) where an advisor is assigned at that time (normally who you did your math plan with). The card is then signed by your current advisor (non-math one) and then delivered to the Registrar's Office. Once you declare, you will be added to the math student mailing list (can be done before this if you want) and asked to provide a photo (if you are willing) for a major/minor photo board. You may consult with your current advisor, a math advisor, or the department chair if you have any questions.