St. Johns Polychrome - CA. 1150-1300

St. Johns Polychrome originated in the area around St Johns, along the Little Colorado River in east-central Arizona. The only known form for St. Johns Polychrome is the hemispheric bowl. Black designs, many very similar to Tularosa patterns, are found only on the interior, while on the exterior a band of decoration is painted in white. It was widely traded, occuring at nearly every site occupied during the period.

Characteristics

Paste: Gray turning to yellow if oxidized
Temper: Sherd and sand
Surface: Thick orange to red slip, polished
Forms: Bowls, rarely jars and ladles
Design: Similar to Tularosa Black-on-White with opposed solid and larger hatched elements, often stepped motifs combined with spirals on interiors, broad white-lined motifs on exteriors probably executed with an iron-free slip


BOWL

8" diameter
Exchange, Field Museum, Chicago
LMA 21044


BOWL (DETAIL)

8" diameter
Exchange, Field Museum, Chicago
LMA 21044


BOWL (DETAIL)

8" diameter
Exchange, Field Museum, Chicago
LMA 21044


SHERD (INTERIOR)

Inscription Rock Ruin
Surface Collections
LMA 21015


SHERD (EXTERIOR)

Inscription Rock Ruin
Surface Collections
LMA 21015