A Student's Laboratory
Beloit College Trustee Frank Logan founded the museum that bears his name in 1894 with a gift of 3,000 objects and instructions that they be used in teaching. From the seed of those first 3000 objects, the museum's collection has grown to over 350,000 objects from 129 countries and 600 cultural groups. The museum remains a teaching laboratory, training students in museum practice and fostering learning about the world's cultures, past and present. This permanent exhibit examines the founding, growth, and use of the museum and its collections.
A.H. Whiteford Curatorial Center
The Andrew H. Whiteford Curatorial Center (the "Cube") is the centerpiece of the lower level. The two-story, glass-enclosed facility is the main storage area for ceramics and baskets, as well as the center for curatorial activities in the museum. This workspace is used by museum studies students cataloging artifacts and preparing exhibits. At the north end are Pre-Columbian ceramics from Central and South America. The south end holds the museum's extensive collection of basketry. The mezzanine houses North American ethnographic objects in movable storage, as well as larger North American ceramics. Visitors are free to walk around the perimeter of the facility, viewing the extensive collections and the curatorial staff at work.
For a sampling of objects found in the Cube, click here and select from the 16 virtual object labels.
"History of Man" Murals - J.W. Norton
Around the perimeter of the Shaw Gallery, above the display cases, is a series of twelve mural paintings. Entitled "The History of Man", these murals were created between 1924 and 1926 by Chicago artist John Warner Norton (1876-1934) and were commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Frank G. Logan specifically for the museum. They depict various periods in human history relating to the composition of the Museum collections. The Museum also possesses study paintings for the murals.
For more information about the murals, click here.
Beloit College Field School Artifacts