Job Posting: Circulation Desk Coordinator
|Beloit, Wisconsin, 53511
Working within an environment that is dynamic, positive, innovative, and responsive, the Beloit College Library and Information Technology Services (LITS) provides high-quality access to information services and technology resources. LITS is committed to providing leadership and services that enable students, faculty, and staff to creatively and productively enhance the College’s academic, administrative, and co-curricular environments.
The Circulation Desk Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director of LITS, Common Services, and holds primary responsibility for the day-to-day information and circulation desk staffing and operations necessary to provide safe and continuous access to the Morse Library facility, technology services, and library resources. This position supervises a large student staff at the information/circulation desk, coordinates interlibrary loan services, and provides the first tier of contact and support for all library and information technology related queries and aids in resolving them or directing them to the appropriate LITS personnel.
Characteristic Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to students, faculty, staff and members of the community at the information/circulation desk, handles inquiries and problems regarding circulation, interlibrary loan borrowing/lending, library resources, reserves, fines, campus ID card services, and basic technology support; escalates questions and problems as needed to appropriate LITS staff.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and schedules a diverse and customer service-oriented student work team providing frontline services and support for circulation, interlibrary loan, reference questions, academic reserves, ID card services, and tier-one technology support.
- Maintains the information/circulation desk, equipment collection, print and electronic academic reserves collection, library workroom, and library shelving and materials in good order.
- Verifies and manages interlibrary loan requests in ILS and related databases.
- Coordinates lending, borrowing, and transfer of interlibrary loan items between campus patrons, the Prairie Lakes Library system, and other libraries and manages related communications between these groups.
- Collaborates with the Library Director, Assistant Director, and librarians to oversee the operation of the library facility, including open/close procedures, setting operational hours, updating the library website, coordinating housekeeping and maintenance activities, and more.
- Runs reports and communicates with patrons regarding loaned items and issues overdue notices, records fines, circulation, reserves, overdues, damaged/broken items, and missing/lost items.
- Manages patron records relating to the circulation module of the Library’s ILS (OCLC WMS) in collaboration with the ILS administrator.
- Creates and maintains documentation of policies and procedures pertaining to information/circulation desk functions for staff and student worker training. Collects and reports circulation, interlibrary loan, and facility usage statistics, and monitors the number of help desk tickets created and resolved at the information/circulation desk.
- In conjunction with ILS administrator, monitors ILS system updates regarding circulation, interlibrary loan, and catalog. Collaborates with library colleagues and student workers on implementation of new ILS features.
- Makes recommendations for adjustments and changes in LITS practices and policies to better meet the needs of the campus community.
- Actively contributes to library and information technology committees and work groups.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- Associate’s degree plus three years’ experience in a related position or high school diploma and five years’ experience in a directly related position. Will consider additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Previous supervision experience along with prior work in an academic library, public library, library system, bookstore, or customer service-oriented position with knowledge of library operations.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with library ILS systems.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal arts education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We seek employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link below.