Job Posting: Librarian - Student Success and Engagement
|Closing Date||Until Filled|
|Location||Beloit, Wisconsin, 53511|
This role supports the teaching, learning, and research of Beloit College students, faculty, and staff by providing research and instruction services. They establish, implement, and evaluate departmental policies and procedures to effectively meet user needs and expectations; play a key role in creating and executing goals and projects around diversity, equity, and inclusion, developing user-focused services, and fostering an environment that is welcoming and responsive to all users. They demonstrate an understanding of successful pedagogy, as well as imagination and motivation to create innovative information literacy tools and lesson plans, while serving as a liaison for academic departments and maintaining a commitment to the assessment of student learning.
Areas of Responsibility
Research and Instruction
- Lead the design, development, and delivery of an innovative information and digital literacy outreach program and associated learning activities focused on student success aligned with curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Collaborate with faculty and campus partners to identify, implement and promote student academic success through information literacy, digital literacy, and academic skill initiatives including the use of digital tools and techniques to create academic work.
- Coordinate an ongoing, innovative program of academic and research support for students in collaboration with LITS staff
- Consult with students and teach in a variety of styles and utilizing a wide range of information and digital tools, including OCLC/WMS.
- Liaison for academic departments and multiple non-academic support departments. Responsible for creating and maintaining relationships with these departments to encourage collaboration in research and instruction.
Government Documents Librarian
- Interprets and ensures compliance with legal requirements and acts as depository contact person for the Library with the GPO and State of Wisconsin.
- Maintains a government documents collection that includes over 200,000 records; prepares reports required by the Depository program; keeps current with policies and issues; assesses holdings, print retention and online access to materials.
- Works with the Collections, Acquisitions, and Access Coordinator to plan and implement document retrospective cataloging and appropriate deaccessioning schedules; maintains the Library’s government information LibGuide webpages and creates relevant research guides and tutorials.
- Provides primary reference service and user assistance for documents.
- Promotes awareness of government resources, utilization and understanding to the Beloit community, providing access to our physical and electronic government documents to both the college and the public
- Collaborates with department and college stakeholders to educate about the materials and incorporate relevant resources into their research guides and instructional sessions
- Participates in professional development and committees to stay abreast of changes to government information
- Participate in library-wide planning, management, decision making, and formulation of library-wide policies and procedures.
- Collaborate on setting departmental goals, policies, procedures, practices, and workflows.
- Fosters user focused collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- Prepare relevant statistical information and reports as needed.
- Lead one or more internal LITS work groups or project teams.
Outreach and Engagement
- Creates informative and engaging displays on a diverse range of topics relevant to the community.
- Provide professional development and serve as a resource for LITS staff on creating and delivering engaging instruction, research, and academic outreach for students.
- Creates and coordinates outreach and programming opportunities, collaborates with campus stakeholders, and participates in campus events. Leads outreach efforts by identifying and developing strategies to enhance perceptions of LITS and engagement with its resources, services, and programs.
- Conducts surveys, focus group sessions and market research among the library’s various user populations to assess the quality and use of collections and services.
- Act as a liaison with certain departments and student life units, paying close attention to student diversity organizations and special populations such as students with learning differences, academically at-risk students, distance education students, international students, non-traditional adult undergraduates and employed professionals.
Professional Service and Engagement
- Participate in library, Beloit College, and community meetings, events, and committees
- Engage in professional development to keep abreast of trends, developments, best practices, and technologies as appropriate for this position
- Contribute to the profession through organizational work, presenting papers, and/or publishing
Credentials and Experience:
- ALA-Accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science or international equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of experience, including experience in public services and preparing and delivering academic content to classes and individuals
- Strong commitment to engaging users and providing excellent service
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a rapidly-changing environment, and to work in collaborative teams
- Commitment to fostering an equitable and inclusive workplace, and ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, students, and staff
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal arts education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We seek employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link provided below.