Job Posting: Staff Accountant
|Closing Date||Until Filled|
|Employment Type(s)||Full Time|
|Location||Beloit, Wisconsin, 53511|
The Staff Accountant performs a wide range of detailed accounting functions. This includes reconciling general ledger accounts and accruals, analysis of revenue, expense and balance sheet accounts, and making adjustments. This position will be responsible for providing financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data; then preparing reports. The Staff Accountant will ensure process improvement techniques to further the department’s ability to produce reporting that supports accurate and timely management reporting and decision-making.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the monthly and fiscal year-end financial closing process and related statement preparation.
- Assist with investment and endowment reconciliations.
- Analyze non-grant Fund 04 restricted funds, spending activity, and balances to ensure funds are being spent in a timely manner.
- Reconcile income statement accounts and balance sheet accounts as assigned.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of various financial and statistical reports, statements and records related to College budgets, funds, accounts, income, expenditures and assigned activities.
- Performs routine variance analyses. Conducts independent accounting research of areas with significant variances to identify and validate accuracy.
- Prepares accrual, adjusting, reclassification, and allocation journal entries in accordance with monthly and annual closing calendars.
- In collaboration with Facilities, perform capital asset physical inventory.
- Maintains the College’s capital asset and lease accounting records. Prepares all related journal entries, fixed asset roll forward, and reconciliations quarterly, including depreciation.
- Works with the payroll department in identifying and investigating reconciling items and prepare adjustments.
- Prepare various year-end working papers and schedules for College annual audit.
- Assists with annual 1099 and unclaimed property processing.
- Assists Director of Finance and Treasury with preparation of the College’s financial statements and 990.
- Assist with budget(s) preparation and maintenance, as needed.
- Recommends ways to improve current procedures and/or processes.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years of general ledger accounting experience. Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Working knowledge and application of GAAP and FASB standards.
- Experience working with automated financial management and reporting systems.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link provided below.