Job Posting: College Editor
|Closing Date||Until Filled|
|Location||Beloit, Wisconsin, 53511|
The Office of Communications and Marketing is the primary communications office of Beloit College. The office exercises editorial, messaging, and branding oversight for all official communications on and off campus. The office serves all sectors of the campus community and is the communications liaison with alumni, the media, government, neighbors, and other area constituencies.
College Editor Duties
- Serve as editor of Beloit College Magazine: set deadlines for the year, plan, initiate, oversee, and coordinate the research, writing, editing, design, and production of the printed and digital publications. Hire, schedule, and work with freelance writers and photographers, direct photo shoots, oversee budget and cost controls, printing and mailing processes, and web presentation.
- Adapt magazine content for Beloit.edu.
- Create and curate content and design and email four alumni newsletters annually to promote current magazine content.
- Communicate regularly with broad-based campus constituents, alumni, and others to discuss current events and story ideas.
- Regularly survey readers to assess the publication’s effectiveness and monitor reader opinions.
- Help allocate office budget, set priorities, and maintain accountability for costs associated with magazine, including writing and photography; maintain publication specifications and cost records for comparison between issues.
- Assist with annual Academic Achievements publication by reviewing faculty members’ individual accomplishments collected by the Dean’s Office each spring.
- Work directly with the president, vice presidents, faculty members, and others as needed on high-level communications; help with obituaries or remembrances of prominent faculty or alumni.
Communications and Marketing Office:
- Assist Communications Manager and Enrollment Marketing Manager on editorial projects, providing final proofing and editing, including on projects completed in collaboration with outside firms; help curate photos,
- Interview, hire, and oversee two student writers.
Ongoing and Miscellaneous Projects:
- Update Style and Resource Guide regularly.
- With graphic artist, identify stock photography needs and help coordinate photo shoots.
- Oversee editing and production of programs and citations for campus-wide events, such as commencement.
- Write occasional copy and serve as final proofreader for Web news feed.
- Write, edit, and consult on other publications and projects as needed.
- Act as main supervisor for student writers.
- If applicable, train, supervise, and evaluate summer interns and serve as final proofing editor on all accompanying projects.
- Oversee and maintain publication files, indexing, photos, and other organizational systems.
- Keep alumni records coordinator or other appropriate advancement office contacts abreast of new contact information encountered (address change, etc.)
- Act as protector of college heritage by sending appropriate documents and photographs to the archivist and alumni records coordinator.
- Attend major campus events for reporting/photography/networking opportunities.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 10 years’ experience in publications and public relations, educational setting preferred.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link provided below.