Theatre and Dance Operations Manager
The Department of Theatre and Dance is responsible for the teaching of the academic disciplines of theatre and dance. The department operates a small-scale theatre production company, The Beloit College Theatre, which presents approximately four to six dance and theatre productions each year. This position will provide administrative support, budget organization and planning for both the department and the theatre production company.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the administrative operations of the departments, including but not limited to: answering phones, taking messages, answering routine inquiries or routing calls, delivering, picking up and routing mail, greeting and directing visitors.
- Accurately produces letters, memos, classroom exams and materials, professional correspondence, articles for publication, grant proposals, research activities and departmental notices, newsletters, agendas, etc.; distributes to faculty, staff, students and others as directed.
- Creates and maintains a recordkeeping system (computer and hardcopy) for correspondence, budget and departmental accounts; prepares departmental or building purchase or reimbursement requisitions, work requests, printing requests, and reconciles them for accuracy and completion.
- Coordinates, maintains and distributes information about careers, internships and other student opportunities.
Oversees, organizes, and makes purchases for the departmental script library.
Serves as the contact for the Beloit College Library in requesting purchases, placing orders, picking up, and returning library materials, and coordinates with faculty to resolve computer-related issues needing LITS support.
Attends and takes minutes at all department meetings. Updates the THDA links regularly and organizes the shared drive for the department.
Responsible for planning, purchasing and organizing departmental events include graduation gatherings, season kick-off parties, and other functions that arise.
Box Office/Front of House
- Coordinates the ticket sales operations including operation and use of box office software, ticket inventory and distribution, cash and credit transactions, and supervising, training and scheduling students assigned to work in the box office.
- Updates the Box Office/Front of House manual annually and trains all Box Office and Front of House individuals in safety and customer service skills. Arranges for an annual CPR/First Aid training for all members of the Front of House team.
- Works with Chair and other members of the THDA faculty and staff to identify single ticket and subscription goals and to track and report the progress towards those goals.
- Coordinate front-of-house operations; develops and maintains work schedules and rosters for student workers in accordance with expected work flow fluctuations; trains and supervises the activities of students as needed to meet front-of-house responsibilities; verifies student time cards for accuracy and forwards to Payroll promptly semi-monthly.
- Processes cash, checks and credit card payments through box office registers; reconciles sales to box office software; balances and make daily ticket deposits as appropriate.
- Coordinates lobby displays with THDA faculty and staff. Ensure that care of the lobby and other public spaces are appropriately maintained.
- Maintains security of the box office including confidential information, cash, credit card and computer security.
- Create and execute marketing and PR plans for subscription sales for the late summer and early fall. Set attainable sales goals for subscriptions and seek out opportunities to promote the season at community and city events.
Create and execute individual marketing/PR plans for individual productions of the Beloit College Season that are based on specific single ticket goals and expand access to our theatre.
Oversee student interns and workers to carry out all marketing/PR plans and product placement
Organizes all photography and archival recording of events, including PR photos, “on-the-hoof” shots, “set-up” shots, and video recording of the show. Coordinate the contracts for off-site videographers and oversee/train student photographers
Participate in Season Selection by reviewing scripts and contributing knowledge of the Beloit College Theatre audience, including acting as the voice of new audiences.
Oversee the creation and design of all products used for marketing and PR, working closely with Communications and Marketing to assure adherence to college-wide marketing efforts.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with experience in performing arts management preferred
2-3 years’ experience with planning, budgeting and reporting marketing/publicity plans preferred3. Experience with general bookkeeping or accounting procedures with specific knowledge of cash management procedures.
Management experience of student and contract workers preferred.
Audience development experience preferred
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal arts education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We seek employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link below.