Director of Recreation and Activity
The Director of Recreation and Activity will lead the development of student programs, support student wellness and fitness through innovative and creative activities, and encourage an appreciation for lifelong healthy habits. In line with the College’s mission, this position will foster campus wide implementation of wellness related events. The Director will take the lead in guiding student-run intramural and outdoor recreation programs. Decreasing student barriers to fitness and recreational activities, increasing the overall health and wellbeing of Beloit College students, and growing the number of students engaged in recreation and fitness, especially those not easily attracted to recreation, are a major emphasis of this position. The qualified candidate will have a passion for recreation and wellness in their own life and a strong interest in promoting optimal health and wellbeing to the entire college community.
Duties and Responsibilites:
- Directly oversee all fitness related programming and fitness floor operations for the Powerhouse including but not limited to; fitness floor and indoor turf field maintenance and upkeep, program design and delivery, special events, scheduling student personnel, policies and procedures, publicity and promotions, registration management, purchase, maintenance and inventory of
- Design and deliver high quality intramural sports activities that both draw from traditional sports and encourage students to engage in new, non-traditional programs.
- Work creatively to establish and maintain partnerships with other campus departments interested in promoting the wellbeing of the
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and mentor, student personnel including outdoor recreation staff, fitness floor staff and intramural
- Convene regular student personnel meetings and meet with individual students as
- Engage and partner with the community of Beloit to enhance the Powerhouse summer
- Collect and use available data to assess current programming and guide future efforts.
- Attend Powerhouse staff meetings and all campus staff meetings as
- Actively engage in the Sports, Fitness and Recreation Career Channel.
- Oversee and manage the group fitness program, including sourcing contracted instructors from local partners.Supervise and facilitate all stages of recreation activity and event planning. This may include:
- Idea generation
- Supply ordering, leasing or purchasing
- Space usage and reservation
- Budget management
- Post event evaluation
Credentials and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a recreation/health and wellness related field Master’s Degree Preferred.
- Certifications in ACE, ACSM, NASM preferred or willingness to
- Experience managing a fitness center and related
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software; Google Drive, and experience with recreation management related software or ability to learn other software relevant to duties
- Wisconsin driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of start
- Experience in collegiate recreation or similar recreational
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal arts education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We seek employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link below.