Payroll & Human Resource Assistant
This position provides administrative and technical assistance to the Human Resources department at Beloit College. Primarily responsible for assisting with the processing and timely completion of the payroll function for one monthly faculty and administrative payroll, two semi-monthly student payrolls, bi-weekly hourly payrolls, and other special program payrolls or special paychecks as necessary. The Payroll and Human Resources Assistant works closely with and consults with the Payroll Coordinator on a regular basis. Other responsibilities include providing general support for the Human Resources Office.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in preparing and maintaining payroll records for all employees. Includes reviewing and processing timecards and other payroll information, calculating and monitoring overtime, sending requests for corrections, setting up and maintaining proper earnings, deduction, and withholding files, entering data into payroll system and answering questions related to payroll
- Processes semi-monthly student payrolls and bi-weekly hourly payrolls. Verifies positions, deductions, tax withholding and direct deposit information for accuracy.
- Assists with production and reconciliation of pre-check reports, printing and distribution of paychecks and related reports. Responsible for timely distribution of paychecks through campus mail, U.S. mail, and handling of direct payroll deposits.
- Sends positive pay files, garnishments, direct deposits, child support, HSA and retirement ACH files each payday.
- Collects and process new hire paperwork for students. Verifies financial aid approval for on campus employment. Enters new student employees in EX and processes student hire requests. Prepares packets for new student days.
- Processes returned direct deposits and associated payroll VOIDS. Reviews PNC suspects and creates rules for future payments.
- Prepares and reconciles on a monthly basis the Health and Dental Plan against Beloit College bank institution statement. Prepares journal entries to record health and dental claim transactions as applicable, updates the health and dental claims yearly summaries spreadsheet.
- Works closely with Financial Aid to monitor federal work-study earnings and makes adjustments when necessary
- Accurately prepares and processes payments of federal and state income taxes payroll deductions. Prepares journal entries to record payroll tax transactions. Reports new hires to the State of Wisconsin.
- Monitors, records, and posts PTO, SBL, Bereavement, COVID pay, and FMLA use.
- Reviews monthly bank statements and follows up on outstanding checks with students.
- Assists with retirement and general audits by pulling and scanning payroll files, forms, and timecards.
- Assists with printing and distributions of appointment letters, W-2 and 1095-C forms.
- Works with Provost, Financial Aid and Bursar offices to distribute Honors Day cash awards to students.
- Accurately prepares and produces reports or correspondence needed by employees or outside agencies for garnishments, employment and salary verifications. Files documents in employee files.
- Greet visitors and answers incoming telephone calls. Assists directly with routine payroll inquiries in line with written Beloit College policy.
- Inventories and maintains adequate office supplies and payroll forms.
- Assists with other human resources and payroll duties so as to provide backup for those positions when necessary.
- Other similarly related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- High School diploma required; Associate’s degree preferred.
- Previous payroll experience required.
- Experience planning, organizing, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software; ability to learn other software relevant to duties.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.