Director of Health and Wellness
The mission of the Health and Wellness Center is to help each student participate successfully in the academic and co-curricular opportunities at Beloit College by achieving maximum physical and emotional health and wellness. The Health and Wellness Center is committed to offering high quality primary care, counseling and health and wellness education by trust based, caring, affordable and accessible services. All services are available in a nonjudgmental environment and are sensitive to the diversity of our students and campus.
The Director provides leadership and vision for the Health and Wellness Center. The Director also provides direct health services as needed in the capacity of a Registered Nurse or mid level provider. Director supervises administrative support staff, student workers, and up to 10 part-time contract employees doing counseling and physical healthcare in the Health and Wellness Center. The Health and Wellness Center strives to help students not only to learn how to navigate the health care system, but also to understand how the decisions they make can impact their health, their academics and others.
This is a 10 1/2 month position with hours reduced in the summer.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and coordinate the daily operations of the Health and Wellness Center.
- Strategically plan student wellness initiatives.
- Engage with and assess students who are having physical or mental health difficulties and provide health and wellness related services as appropriate for the Health and Wellness Center. This may include point of care testing such as COVID-19 testing, strep throat swabs, pregnancy tests, urinalysis and others as needed.
- Triage students and refer those whose needs are beyond the resources available in the Health and Wellness Center.
- Collaborate with and support students, residential life staff, campus offices and community organizations in the planning and implementation of wellness focused activities on campus such as health and wellness events, flu shot clinic and other health and wellness related events.
- Lead and direct Health and Wellness student programmers in planning and executing wellness related events and activities on campus.
- Discuss health and wellness related issues with students both individually and in groups
- Collaborate with counselors and providers in the case management of students with chronic/acute physical and mental health issues.
- Support students with mental health concerns as necessary until they can be referred to appropriate support.
- Supervise administrative support staff member, contract providers and counselors, and student staff.
- Manage budgets of approx. $300,000.
- Direct and oversee the review and maintenance of student health records and share deidentified statistics as requested with campus stakeholders.
- Manage the implementation of the electronic medical record system, Pyramed. Participate in training to be the primary super user.
- Work collaboratively with Beloit Health System providers and outlying clinic managers to organize medical staff, nursing staff and lab staff for daily and weekly coverage.
- Engage faculty, staff and students around health and wellness related student learning opportunities.
- Collaborate regularly with the director of Learning Enrichment and Disabilities Services, athletic trainers, Residential Life staff and other offices as appropriate to meet student needs.
- Develop and maintain ties with the Rock County Health Department and other health agencies in the area.
- Stay current with campus, local, and national college health and wellness issues and educate the campus community as appropriate.
- Participate in campus meetings as appropriate.
- Meet with students, prospective students and their families as needed.
- Make available health and wellness education resources and update Health and Wellness Center web page as needed.
- Manage office budget and resources including directing the monitoring and ordering of medical, office and programming supplies.
- Operate as the point of contact for community outreach and connect students as needed.
- Reports to: Associate Dean for Wellness, Recreation and Engagement.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN) required; Advanced degree preferred.
- Possess and keep current Wisconsin licensure appropriate to level of practice.
- Experience working on a college campus or working with college-aged students strongly preferred.
- Experience with an electronic medical record preferred.
- Previous college health experience preferred.
- Experience working with diverse populations preferred; willingness to work with diverse populations required.
- Experience planning, organizing, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions is required.
- Management or supervisory experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of public health framework and its function on a college campus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, Google suite of product; ability to learn other software relevant to duties (e.g., Jenzabar, Reason content Management System to support web pages, and Pyramed EMR).
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.