The Groundskeeping Department is an essential contributor to the residential teaching and learning experience at Beloit College. The appearance of the residential, academic and administrative spaces on campus help showcase a healthy and pleasant living, learning and working environment. The lead groundskeeper position requires the ability to effectively interact with diverse faculty, staff and students while supervising and conducting a variety of duties related to providing an attractive and safe campus setting. The work environment is primarily outdoors and working conditions include a dirty environment, extreme temperatures, using a variety of equipment and lifting or carrying heavy objects. The lead groundskeeper and groundskeepers are employees of Beloit College, however, will work under the direct supervision of Furman Brothers, a contract management company.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates, directs and supervises daily assignments to grounds staff and students to complete work and project requests, including preparation, planting, fertilizing, mowing, pruning, trimming, spraying and replacement /renovation of lawn, ground covers, plants, shrubs and trees.
- Coordinates and supervises maintenance of sidewalks, parking lots, course ways, fences, walls and irrigation systems on campus grounds. This includes moving/removing snow by shovel, blower, plow, etc.
- Operates and maintains equipment, manual and powered tools, including trucks, tractors, mowers, plows, edgers, trimmers, fertilizer/herbicide/paint distribution devices, etc., in a safe and responsible manner.
- Assists in preparation of employee performance evaluation. Prepares and submits safety and accident reports, as needed.
- Collects trash, debris and other refuse as necessary.
- Ensures training for and proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Assesses ground or landscaping problems and reports to supervisor; recommends solutions as appropriate.
- Maintains courteous and professional contact in face to face situations.
- Works independently or as part of a team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Supervisory experience in a service- and team-oriented environment.
- Three to five years of groundskeeping or landscaping experience; coursework in horticulture or landscaping will be considered.
- Licensed Commercial Pesticide Applicator in category (3) “Turf and Landscape” or willingness to obtain.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.