Director of Student Engagement and Leadership
The Director of Student Engagement and Leadership is an integral member of the Student Life team charged with developing and contributing to a positive, inclusive, and lively campus environment. The Director will create and support student leadership development programs, student engagement experiences and events that support the College’s mission as an academically rigorous, private, residential college focused on a robust student experience rooted in the liberal arts.
The Director of Student Engagement and Leadership advises student government; facilitates leadership development to maximize student organization impact; initiates programming to meet the diverse needs of Beloit College students; and supervises several part time student employees. The contributions of this role are essential to the successful operation of the department for recreation, wellness and engagement. This is a twelve-month, full time position.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Student Engagement and Leadership Development
- Lead and direct the development of a comprehensive student engagement program consistent with Beloit’s educational mission to foster collaborative and experiential learning that puts a liberal arts education into practice.
- Create opportunities for students to more fully understand and explore intercultural learning through campus programming and participation in clubs and student organizations.
- Collaborate with other staff and faculty in the development of educational learning opportunities focused on leadership for immediate service on campus and future service beyond Beloit.
- Create opportunities for student leaders to process, reflect and translate their student leadership experience.
- Lead Fall and Spring and Summer Orientation programming.
Student Government, Programming and Club Leadership
- Advise Beloit College’s student government
- Advise Programming Board and related major campus event committees (Folk and Blues Festival , Snow Ball, Mayfest, and more).
- Engage faculty and staff advisors to student clubs with the goal of enhancing student learning through participation in clubs and organizations.
Management and Operations
- Assist with oversight and operations of the Powerhouse student union and recreation center, supervise student employees (programmers, office assistants, campus vehicle drivers).
- Monitor and direct contractual and operational activities. This includes work with: WBCR radio, Student Newspaper and campus event and entertainment contracts.
- Oversee departmental web presence.
- Work collaboratively with students and campus partners to identify optimal uses for student activities
- Manage the Student Engagement and Leadership B Review and authorize contracts associated with student activities; educate students on how to negotiate and execute successful contracts.
Student Affairs Generalist
- Serve on campus and staff committees as needed and assigned.
- Attend all campus, divisional, department and office meetings as appropriate.
- Other similarly-related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 2 - 5 years of experience in student activities, leadership development, or student life related work.
- We encourage applicants from outside of higher education with related experience.
- Experience with student directed and student led campus government, clubs/organizations.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.