Director of Admissions
Beloit College invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Admissions.
Reporting to the Vice President for Enrollment, the Director of Admissions will advance the successful attainment of enrollment goals for domestic and international first-year and transfer students through the management of recruitment, selection, and yield efforts.
The Director will join the campus at an exciting time. Beloit’s momentum has generated new programs that strengthen advising, mentoring, and the connection between undergraduate education and career and life success; the Beloit Action Plan, a forward-looking response to COVID; and a broad and comprehensive effort to center the work of anti-racism and equity on campus. With Beloit’s southeastern Wisconsin location, the Director will benefit from a close-knit community and high quality of life at a relatively low cost, and within easy driving distance to Chicago, Madison, and Milwaukee.
The Director will be a vital member of the enrollment leadership team, collaborating closely with the Vice President for Enrollment and complemented by a Director of Enrollment Strategy to develop, implement, and successfully execute plans for recruitment, selection, and yield that are responsive to college goals for quality, quantity, diversity, and net tuition revenue.
The director’s most important charge is ensuring every aspect of day-to-day operations furthers progress toward the goals and objectives of the Office of Admissions and the college through inspiring outstanding individual and team performance in a generative environment. The Director will oversee strategic territory management, including in-person and remote recruitment activities, and work closely with admissions staff to develop data-informed recruitment and yield plans. The Director will also manage a recruitment territory and travel to represent the college.
Managing a staff of approximately twelve, the Director of Admissions will mentor and supervise staff members while inspiring an openness to possibility, engagement with goals and objectives, open communication, transparency, feedback, mutual respect, support, and camaraderie.
Collaboration across campus will be essential. The Director will work effectively with coaches, faculty, and staff in recruitment efforts. Beyond Beloit, the Director will build, manage, and maintain relevant external relationships, including but not limited to those with high school guidance counselors, independent educational consultants, and Community-Based Organizations.
Other responsibilities vital to success include:
- Guide the staff in managing communications with prospective students to achieve prompt and attentive personal contact and to ensure efficient and effective allocation of effort;
- Equip the staff to present the college in a dynamic, compelling, and emotionally resonant way to audiences of varying constituents, sizes, and compositions;
- Guide the development of a visit program of the highest quality. Lead the staff in providing exceptional customer service in all visits and events, whether in-person or remote;
- Oversee the coordination of an efficient, effective, and equity-minded application review process;
- Partner effectively with faculty, staff, and alumni and oversee the participation of all of these groups in strategic and targeted personal outreach to prospective students;
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing staff, particularly the Enrollment Communications Manager, to ensure that recruitment and marketing efforts are aligned and mutually reinforcing;
- Contribute to an ethically grounded, collaboration inclined, data-informed, relationally driven, and results-oriented work culture.
Required and Desired Skills, Abilities and Qualities
The skills, experience, qualities, and characteristics of the successful candidate will include significant admissions experience with a record of increasing responsibility, along with a record of success in recruitment and enrollment and proven experience in managing and motivating staff. Knowledge of and appreciation for a liberal arts environment is critical to serving the mission of Beloit College. A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred. Other qualifications include:
- The ability to align the day-to-day work of an admissions office with strategic direction and priorities;
- Deep knowledge of best practices in student recruitment combined with a willingness to think beyond them;
- A thorough understanding of recruitment/admissions CRMs, preferably Technolutions Slate;
- A demonstrated understanding that success is achieved through outstanding execution in all activities and at all levels;
- The ability to plan effectively and to change course as necessary;
- An appreciation for small, private, tuition-driven institutions competing in both regional and national markets and the critical role of effective enrollment management and marketing in the success of these institutions;
- A nuanced understanding of the many advantages and barriers that characterize students’ paths to college and sophisticated insight into actions that will achieve an inclusive campus;
- The ability to contribute to a work environment that is welcoming to people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences;
- An appetite for continuous innovation and improvement and the inclination to approach work from a posture of possibility;
- Superior written and spoken communication skills and the ability to make a compelling case to students and their families for the power of a Beloit education.
- A willingness to achieve results through sustainable means that serve Beloit well in both the short and long term.
For more information the Beloit community, please click here.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Napier Executive Search is assisting Beloit College with this search for a Director of Admissions. If you wish to have a confidential conversation about this opportunity or to nominate someone for this position, please contact: Robin Reynders, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Napier, email@example.com.
For best consideration, submit materials by April 2. Expected start date is summer 2021. To apply, please submit 1) a resume, 2) letter of interest, which should incorporate and address themes in this position announcement and 3) three to five professional references with contact information. Please send electronically and in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be contacted without permission.