Writer & Editor
The Communications and Marketing Writer/Editor will be a multi-faceted professional who can write for multiple channels, including print, video, social media and speeches and understands the role that visuals play in supporting the written word. The writer/editor will write editorial copy for the website, newsletters and positioning statements; craft clear and compelling messaging in the form of scripting and emails for the President; and will help edit the work of other department writers. Secondarily, the writer will support enrollment marketing and the Alumni Magazine editor as needed.
The writer contributes to C&M project activity, provides creative collaboration, and mentors student workers while marshaling support from colleagues in the department to help powerfully and persuasively position Beloit to key audiences, including prospective students, parents, faculty and staff, alumni and the general public.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write, edit, and collaborate with other C&M professionals for print, web, video and other projects in support of the college’s Communications and Marketing efforts.
- Help with create, implement and champion communications plans for the institution. Collaborate with the C&M team to ensure that all messaging efforts align with the college brand, desired positioning, and recruitment and retention efforts.
- Write, edit, and proof copy developed within the C&M department
- Write and edit regular content for Beloit.edu, the President’s office, social media, and other campus web properties that advance the college’s efforts.
- Work closely with strategic marketing in their efforts to assess their success against stated goals while also evaluating data from prospect research and focus groups with audiences including high school students, admitted students, and parents.
- Work with the Chief Communications Officer and others to regularly evaluate and actively advance the college’s competitive position.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations or a communications-related field required.
- 4-6 years of professional marketing and communications experience required, with demonstrated ability to write clearly, concisely and quickly.
- Training in journalism is helpful, along with news judgment.
- Experience working with diverse populations preferred; willingness to work with diverse populations required.
- Experience developing multimedia communications projects is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience planning, organizing, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions is required.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
To apply send a cover letter, resume, three writing samples, and names and contact information of three professional references electronically to: BCWriter20@beloit.edu