Coughy Haus Manager
The Coughy Haus Manager serves as a professional staff member in Student Life, Division of Student Affairs, and is responsible for managing all aspects of the operation of the Coughy Haus (CHaus) campus bar and assisting with the operations of the Powerhouse Student Union and Recreation Center. As a member of the division of Student Life, the Coughy Haus Manager participates and attends staff meetings and activities and contributes to the functions and goals of the division and institution by offering learning opportunities for involved students, fostering an environment that engages intelligence, imagination, and entrepreneurship. The manager will work with Bon Appetit food service to manage the food service component of the C-Haus and will coordinate use of their business systems to manage food revenue/expenditures and pricing.
This is a full-time, 10 month position with a live-in apartment provided. 40 hours per week with an hourly rate. Time worked is usually from the end of July to the end of May.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of and programming for the CHaus; maintains a presence in the bar area and on duty during all service hours.
- Hires, trains and supervises all student servers and employees in the CHaus.
- Serves as a professional staff evening and weekend manager with the rest of the Powerhouse professional staff and other Student Life partners in a rotation format.
- Adheres to all state laws regarding sales, consumption, storage and disposal of alcoholic beverages. Establishes an effective system of ID checking and supervises alcohol servers in proper sales of alcoholic beverages. Carries agent’s license for premises and food license and maintains server’s license.
- Follows the Bon Appetit procedure of ordering, stocking and maintaining an adequate supply of food, beverage and supply items. Shops as is needed for necessary non-deliverable items. Determines and maintains food service menu items, prices, specials, advertisements and hours in conjunction with Bon Appetit. Maintains all health code requirements.
- Participates in Servsafe (food handling) training as facilitated by Bon Appetit.
- Follows all established cash handling and accounting procedures as outlined by the Beloit College Accounting Office.
- Coordinates necessary maintenance and repair functions, as well as monitors facility for safety, health and security related issues. Develops a working relationship with Physical Plant, Housekeeping and Security departments.
- Coordinates bi-weekly staff meetings with agenda for employees; develops a collaborative team and an effective and cohesive employee staff.
- Advises students in all aspects of programming, contracting entertainment, processing performer honoraria, rental of equipment, and sufficient advertising. Serves as advisor to CHaus Programming Committee, which includes attendance at all Programming Committee meetings and managing all performer contracts. Advises other groups as assigned.
- Maintains programming schedule of events and adjusts supplies and stock in coordination with programming schedule.
- Sends a representative to the bi-weekly COO Assembly meeting of the Beloit Student Government.
- Provides an update on issues and financial plan once per semester to Beloit Student Government Budget Committee and General Assembly.
- Meets weekly with the Director of Student Engagement and Leadership to have contracts signed.
- Submits annual operating and programming budget requests through the Beloit Student Government budget process. Completes established bi-monthly operational reports, annual budget report and reviews both with the management of Bon Appetit and SEAL Director. Implements necessary action plans to meet annual financial goals.
- Monitors the CHaus during large events and special holidays or activities, including but not limited to: Homecoming and alumni receptions, senior party and sponsored parties. Assists with ID checking procedures to ensure underage patrons are not served.
- Supervises use of CHaus during band practice times.
- Coordinates or conducts event related setups, including but not limited to: sound system, technical needs, operation needs, etc.
- Assists in campus efforts to educate students about alcohol use/abuse and refers all students in crisis to appropriate counseling/help source.
- Communicates with supervisors on an ongoing basis with regard to concerns and campus issues and immediately with regard to critical or emergency situations.
- Becomes an active member of the campus community.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must have or be able to quickly acquire an alcohol server license in Wisconsin (TIPS or similar).
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
To apply send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references electronically to: email@example.com