The Groundskeeping Department is an essential contributor to the residential teaching and learning experience at Beloit College. The appearance of the residential, academic and administrative spaces on campus help showcase a healthy and pleasant living, learning and working environment. The groundskeeper position requires the ability to effectively interact with diverse faculty, staff and students while conducting a variety of duties related to providing an attractive and safe campus setting. The work environment is primarily outdoors and working conditions include a dirty environment, extreme temperatures, using a variety of equipment, and lifting or carrying heavy objects. Groundskeepers are employees of Beloit College, however, will work under the direct supervision of Furman Brothers, a contract management company.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes work and project requests as assigned by supervisor including preparation, planting, fertilizing, mowing, pruning, trimming, spraying, and replacement/renovation of lawn, ground covers, plants, shrubs and trees.
- Maintains sidewalks, parking lots, course ways, fences, walls and irrigation systems on campus grounds. This includes moving/removing snow by shovel, blower, plow, etc.
- Operates and maintains equipment, manual and powered tools, including trucks, tractors, mowers, plows, edgers, trimmers, fertilizer/herbicide/paint distribution devices, etc., in a safe and responsible manner.
- Collects trash and other refuse as necessary.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Maintains courteous and professional contact in face to face situations.
- Works independently unless assigned to a team by supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One to three years grounds keeping or landscaping experience; coursework in horticulture or landscaping will be considered.
- Licensed Commercial Pesticide Applicator in category (3) “Turf and Landscape” or willingness to obtain.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ lives and education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and who will be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit College attracts students from across the United States and the world. A Beloit education is interdisciplinary, international, and intentional, emphasizing innovative teaching and practical application. Through every aspect of their college experience, Beloit students prepare for flourishing lives and careers by becoming effective communicators, productive collaborators, and creative problem solvers, and developing personal and professional agility. Beloit is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives. More information about Beloit College can be found at www.beloit.edu.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please no walk-ins, drop-offs, or phone calls.