The accounting office is responsible for all financial transactions and financial reporting of the college. The appropriate and accurate communication of fiscal data allows our key decision makers to better understand the financial status and resources of the college. The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization; applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records, and financial reporting.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures accurate and appropriate recording of transactions by regularly reviewing and analyzing General Ledger accounts and resolving discrepancies. Is back-up for adding accounts to the General Ledger.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual bank statement and balance sheet account reconciliations timely and ensures work papers and supporting documentation are in accordance with departmental standards.
- Reviews cash account activity on a weekly basis, to ensure cash transactions are accurately classified and posted to the General Ledger. Research transactions that require additional details to ensure accuracy.
- Performs routine variance analyses. Conducts independent accounting research of areas with significant variances to identify and validate accuracy.
- Researches General Ledger discrepancies and prepares journal entries to record or adjust accounts in accordance with GAAP and Beloit College policies.
- Prepares adjusting, reclassification, and allocation journal entries in accordance with monthly and annual closing calendars.
- Utilizes accounting knowledge, judgment and reconciliation tools to identify transactions requiring non-routine journal entries.
- In collaboration with Facilities, performs physical inventory on an annual basis.
- Maintains the College’s fixed asset and construction in progress records. Prepares all related journal entries quarterly, including depreciation.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles accounts in QuickBooks for the Powerhouse entities, on a monthly basis.
- Prepares quarterly financial statements for the Powerhouse.
- Works with the payroll department in identifying and investigating reconciling items and prepare adjustments.
- Assists with annual 1099 and unclaimed property processing.
- Prepares Tuition Remission budget and reconciles each semester.
- Assists Director of Finance/Controller with preparation of the College’s financial statements and 990.
- Coordinate activities involving external auditors for the College and the Powerhouse entities; provide additional data as requested; prepare year-end closing documents and workpapers as required.
- Recommends ways to improve current procedures and/or processes.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.\
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting required. Master’s in Accounting or Finance, MBA, or CPA licensure preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible and diverse accounting experience. Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles.
- Working knowledge of revenue recognition regulations.
- Experience working with automated financial management and reporting systems.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
How to Apply
o apply send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references electronically to: BCAccounting19@beloit.edu