Academic Coordinator - Science Center
The Academic Program Coordinator serves as the secretarial and administrative resource for the faculty housed in the Science Center. The Science Center has faculty in eight disciplines: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, plus the Health and Society and Environmental Studies programs. The coordinator assists with the administrative needs of over 35 faculty members, as well as taking primary responsibility for the stewardship of the learning spaces in the building. During summer months, the Academic Program Coordinator will provide administrative support for other academic departments and faculty as needed.
This position will work fewer hours in the summer when the college is not in regular session.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support to faculty in the Science Center.
- Takes primary responsibility for the stewardship of the Science Center. This includes ensuring that the furnishings and equipment in the classrooms, lounges, and public spaces are ready for faculty and student use, and that building and equipment issues are promptly reported to Physical Plant and IT for resolution.
- Communicates regularly with faculty regarding building and equipment issues and ensures that building users and continually informed on the status of the building.
- Acts as one of the emergency contacts for the Science Center.
- Assists with department and division accounting and record keeping, processes purchase requisitions and reimbursements, maintains accounting records, maintains departmental credit card records.
- Collects and maintains applications for faculty searches, creates application logs, corresponds with applicants as needed by telephone, electronic mail, and regular mail, coordinates candidate visits.
- Schedules building meeting rooms and serves as consultant for those who have reserved spaces as they plan their events.
- Assists with arrangements for special events (guest lecturers, etc.), assists with travel and lodging arrangements, works with Accounting and Payroll on payment arrangements.
- Facilitates the scheduling of courses, meetings, and events through, e.g., collecting information on the timing of course offerings, collecting faculty members’ weekly schedules, and working with Registrar’s Office, Residential Life, and Student Activities on special scheduling requests.
- Assists with department communications including coordination and production of electronic messages, website and other social media sites.
- Manages office workflow, including supervision of student workers.
- Responsibilities for special projects, programs, and events, such as:
- The Beloit Biologist:
- International Symposium (Fall) and Student Symposium (Spring)
- Health Professions Advisory Committee
- Student support:
- Coordinate departmental honors and recommendations for graduate admissions.
Credentials and Experience:
- High school diploma; some college desirable.
- Previous office experience.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.