The Facilities Departments are essential contributors to the residential teaching and learning experience at Beloit College. The operation, quality, cleanliness and appearance of the residential, academic and administrative spaces on campus help to create a healthy and pleasant living, learning and working environment. The building mechanic position requires the ability to effectively interact with diverse faculty, staff and students while conducting a variety of duties relating to the maintenance and upkeep of over 80 campus buildings. The Building Mechanic is responsible for repairing, maintaining, inspecting, and installing all systems and projects, specializing in either electrical, plumbing, painting or carpentry. Primary duties include performing preventive and corrective maintenance work on building surfaces, furnishings, fixtures (including plumbing and lighting fixtures), building hardware, etc., as well as responsibility to visually inspect an assigned group of buildings and repair or report needed repairs for timely completion. An ability to learn and understand how the maintenance department contributes to residential living as part of the liberal arts experience is an important aspect for success in this position
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes electronic work orders and project requests as assigned by supervisor. Documents action taken and time required to complete assigned duties.
- Performs scheduled and on-going maintenance projects and reports interim progress and final completion to supervisor meeting quality requirements of accuracy, thoroughness and effectiveness. Must be efficient in use of time and resources.
- Maintains courteous and professional contact in face to face situations and while communicating via radio.
- Lays out and establishes completion schedules for assigned projects. Estimates time and material quantities required; selects appropriate materials, equipment, and parts for job assignments.
- Diagnoses problems discovered on inspection or as assigned by supervisor; makes immediate on-site adjustments and a variety of repairs when possible.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Advises Maintenance Supervisor on repairs that are beyond skill level or capabilities.
- Skillfully uses hand tools, portable and shop power tools, and all standard measuring instruments.
- Works independently unless assigned to a team by supervisor.
- Assists, works with, or trains other Facilities Maintenance personnel when directed by supervisor.
- Assists with moving projects and assignments.
- Assist with snow removal as directed by supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Well-rounded experience equivalent to journeyman-level in electrical, plumbing, painting or carpentry; additional knowledge in other related fields desired.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
To apply send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references electronically to: BCBldMech2@beloit.edu