The accounting office is responsible for all financial transactions and financial reporting of the college. The appropriate and accurate communication of fiscal data allows our key decision makers to better understand the financial status and resources of the college. The Staff Accountant maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization; applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures accurate and appropriate recording of revenues and expenses by regularly reviewing and analyzing General Ledger accounts and resolving discrepancies. Is back-up for adding accounts to the General Ledger.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual bank statement and balance sheet account reconciliations timely and ensures work papers and supporting documentation are in accordance with departmental standards.
- Reviews cash account activity on a weekly basis, to ensure cash transactions are accurately classified and posted to the General Ledger. Research transactions that require additional details to ensure accuracy.
- Reconciles assigned balance sheet accounts, research discrepancies, and prepare journal entries to record or adjust accounts in accordance with GAAP and Beloit College policies.
- Prepares adjusting, reclassification, and allocation journal entries in accordance with monthly and annual closing calendars.
- Utilizes accounting knowledge, judgment and reconciliation tools to identify transactions requiring non-routine journal entries.
- In collaboration with Facilities, performs physical inventory on an annual basis.
- Prepares all fixed asset related journal entries quarterly, including depreciation.
- Monitors construction in process contracts and payments.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles capital projects, including the Powerhouse entities, on a monthly basis.
- Works with the payroll department in identifying and investigating reconciling items and prepare adjustments.
- Assists with annual 1099 processing.
- Prepares Tuition Remission budget and reconciles each semester.
- Assisting with preparation of financial statements and 990.
- Coordinate activities involving external auditors; provide additional data as requested; prepare year-end closing documents and worksheets as required.
- Recommends ways to improve current procedures and/or processes.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting required.
- Minimum 2 years’ general accounting experience. Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles.
- Experience working with automated financial management and reporting systems.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
To apply send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references electronically to: BCSTAFFACCT2019@beloit.edu